Green house questions

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Tora

Green house questions

Post by Tora »

Chuck2 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:31 am
Still admiring you built this all with bamboo!
Keep thinking of this and wanted to say thanks but i don’t know if it’s deserved.

I just looked at bamboo as one option of material that fit the structural need for light, long lengths able to remain relatively straight (rigid) over long spans or be flexible and still strong- in the case of the ribs. It’s also available locally for the right price. It does require different building techniques but it’s not all that difficult to work with technically.

Chuck2

Green house questions

Post by Chuck2 »

Tora wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:36 am
Chuck2 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:31 am
Still admiring you built this all with bamboo!
Keep thinking of this and wanted to say thanks but i don’t know if it’s deserved.

I just looked at bamboo as one option of material that fit the structural need for light, long lengths able to remain relatively straight (rigid) over long spans or be flexible and still strong- in the case of the ribs. It’s also available locally for the right price. It does require different building techniques but it’s not all that difficult to work with technically.
It is definitely available and great right price. I noticed in one of your previous pictures that you had a butt joint for the rectangular main frame of the greenhouse. Seeing how bamboo is hallow, did you have like a piece of 1"x1" screwed inside of the bamboo? Or did you just cut the bottom piece flush with one of those inside cavity walls?

Tora

Green house questions

Post by Tora »

Chuck2 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:15 am

It is definitely available and great right price. I noticed in one of your previous pictures that you had a butt joint for the rectangular main frame of the greenhouse. Seeing how bamboo is hallow, did you have like a piece of 1"x1" screwed inside of the bamboo? Or did you just cut the bottom piece flush with one of those inside cavity walls?
Nice catch. I used a few screws to hold things in place long enough to tie them together with wire as I was mostly working alone. Framing screws (3-4mm) just split the bamboo without a pilot hole and don’t hold it together very well, the thick binding wire really holds it in place. I drilled holes to feed the wire through the bamboo to keep it from shifting and tried to do that near the nodes on pieces I didn’t want to split.

The binding wire (‘bansen’)is pretty common in the old construction industry and was used to hold together the wood pole scaffolding that was the standard until that metal pipe system that is used now. When I was a kid, bailing wire held together the American countryside-drive trains in cars, tractors, fences,etc. Anybody who knew what they were doing always had bailing wire and duck tape just in case

I’ll post a pic that I saved into my usual Dropbox account as a Jpg file instead of the default file type I’ve been using. I haven’t been able to find another way to share pics so Zasso doesn’t have to keep cleaning up after me :roll:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Green house questions

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You are still pasting the url of the page your image is on rather than the images address :razz:

If you post image address you'll get this

One problem with Dropbox is they keep changing the address of images so after a few days the photo will no longer show in your post. If you go back and look at your post where I edited the links those photos are no longer visible because Dropbox has changed where they are. I'd suggest using a site like ImgBB or imgbox, they are both free and don't change the address of the pictures after a few days.

Chuck2

Green house questions

Post by Chuck2 »

Tora,

That looks like a good why to tie it all together. I use that wire to band a lot of things together. Very handy. As for duct, Canadians also use it for everything.

Here is one of our heroes.

https://youtu.be/pY7nx5Z6Kzo

Tora

Green house questions

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:33 pm
You are still pasting the url of the page your image is on rather than the images address :razz:

One problem with Dropbox is they keep changing the address of images so after a few days the photo will no longer show in your post. If you go back and look at your post where I edited the links those photos are no longer visible because Dropbox has changed where they are. I'd suggest using a site like ImgBB or imgbox, they are both free and don't change the address of the pictures after a few days.
Sorry. It’s not easy being a knuckle dragger on the information superhighway

I’ll check out the sites you linked to.

Tora

Green house questions

Post by Tora »

Chuck2 wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:41 pm
Tora,

That looks like a good why to tie it all together. I use that wire to band a lot of things together. Very handy. As for duct, Canadians also use it for everything.

Here is one of our heroes.

https://youtu.be/pY7nx5Z6Kzo
If you have duct tape, wire and WD40 it’s like getting a hat trick every game, eh

I used to watch the Red Green Show when I was in jr. high school. I found it quite entertaining. My brother didn’t and wanted to watch pro wrestling. I must say that the pro wrestling is turning out to be more useful for me now. That and having seen the first 3 Rambo movies helps me keep a conversation going with my neighbor. I’d be worried if I lived near someone with those interests in the USA :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Green house questions

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:31 pm
Sorry. It’s not easy being a knuckle dragger on the information superhighway

I’ll check out the sites you linked to.
Don't worry, we'll get you there eventually :D

Just watched this video whilst whipping up some breakfast

Not sure how well it would scale for larger houses but might work for your banana house.

Tora

Green house questions

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:22 am

Don't worry, we'll get you there eventually :D

Just watched this video whilst whipping up some breakfast

Not sure how well it would scale for larger houses but might work for your banana house.
I’ll try not to drag my feet as much as my knuckles on the pic posting. Sorry I’ve been leaving you with the cleanup on that.

The video is kinda what I’m trying to include in my setup. I actually placed a 1x2x1 meter compost pile inside my greenhouse and filled it up with leaves and a little this and that about a month ago. I initially tried to get a lasagna thing going with kitchen scraps, other semi-compost, as well as some chicken manure in between/on top to add a little nitrogen to get it going. I also added a couple layers near the top of soil and semicomposted leaves from the mature deciduous woods next to our place. It seemed like a good way to introduce some active, healthy microorganisms to the mix. My compost does NOT seem to be heating up that well as I can’t feel any heat, even if I (bravely) put my hand down into the pile, and I’m looking for a way to get it hot enough to help keep the greenhouse warm.

Possible problems and solutions:
I did not water it down at first and it is not tarped. Problem?

I have been watering it down a couple times a week over the last 2 weeks and will probably throw an old tarp over it tomorrow.

The guy in the video Zasso posed said he added ash and urine on the top and, I have a bucket of ash looking for a purpose. I am hesitant to add urine as I was adding kitchen scraps and some other compost that had been in an anaerobic status when I first added the compost pile and it was smelling kind of funky in there for a week or two. I’m worried that, if I start adding urine, it will smell like the dark corner behind the taxi stand downtown. I guess that’s one argument for putting the pile outside instead of inside like I did.

What does the ash do for the compost? Should I soak/suspend the ash in water before pouring it over the compost?

What else can I do to get the composting action going? More nitrogen? Soil?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Green house questions

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I don't really know a great deal about compost so am probably not the best person to advise you, we just throw our vegetable off cuts onto the ground and let them return to the soil but if your pile is too dry it won't get started.