Chickens !!!!

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Well we managed to sell all the ones we had with the leaves attached so I guess customers want it so we'll keep doing it from now on.

When we start selling these eggs and packaging them up, what will need to be on the label?
We've fed them organically so I guess it's ok to have that plastered somewhere or do we need to be part of JAS or some such group?

Also does anyone know any cheap label printing service? I'm pretty sure using the home printer will end up being way more expensive in the long run.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

If you want to print your own labels have a butchers at the Epson 3500 label printer. You can buy replacement inks here from Super Ink but you'll need to buy a chip resetter from abroad, we went with this one from Pro Print and it does the job fairly well. The pigment inks dry very quickly and are water fast so no problems with smudging.

If you want to say any food is organic you need to have proper JAS certification, which isn't cheap. Best contact your local hokenjo to find out what is needed in your area for printing on the labels.

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Damn, thought as much. I just can't justify paying the fees for JAS certification.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

JAS certification is way overpriced IMHO but you can advertise your eggs as 'Barn style' without any problems, that tells people they are free to move around their area and not caged their whole lives.

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

So does "Freerange" fall under JAS or something?
What do you think would be the best way to advertise Organic without using the word Organic? Chemically Free fed? Would I or other people get away with something like that or would that bring the ire of JAS?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

As far as I'm aware (and I could well be wrong) "Barn Style", "Free Range" and other methods of keeping chickens isn't covered by JAS organic certification. You can't call them organic unless you have JAS certification but stating the style they are kept in isn't an issue. If you want to say free range then they should have access to a fairly large run around area, barn style means they are free to run around inside a building like a barn or your polytunnels rather than caged.

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Ohh I see what you mean when you mentioned "Barn Style" first time round, I thought for some stupid reason because you never mentioned it "Free Range" was under JAS, not that I shouldn't really use it because I'm using a Polytunnel.

Less drinking before visiting this place from now on I think.

Zakiyama

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zakiyama »

I'll try and attach the label guideline sample page that the hokenjo sent us. It's an example of what needs to be on they label. It doesn't say anything about organic, I guess JAS would be the ones to ask about that.

We weren't going to bother with organic certs so never looked into it. We try to be "better than organic" with more of a focus on animal welfare. My understanding of organic standards in general is that if you feed them even one uncertified apple, then they are no longer organic. As we want to accept other peoples kitchen waste eventually, we would never be all "organic".

But I would think that if the feed is certified organic feed, at least you could say "fed organic feed".

We put a little sign by our eggs that emphasizes their daily life. Like access to sunshine, scratchable earth, dust bath, free choice food, and a list of what they normally eat. Although my husband thinks most customers don't care about welfare as much as they care about egg quality. Right now, we are the only ones selling eggs at the market, besides the occasional ukokke egg, and it's only a few packs, so not much effort is needed to sell out...

A picture of a happy chicken outside on your shoulder seems to be pretty effective.

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zakiyama wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:23 am
I'll try and attach the label guideline sample page that the hokenjo sent us. It's an example of what needs to be on they label.
Thanks for this, much appreciated! Also will be handy for others wishing to sell eggs in the future.
Zakiyama wrote:
We put a little sign by our eggs that emphasizes their daily life. Like access to sunshine, scratchable earth, dust bath, free choice food, and a list of what they normally eat.
This is an eggcellent idea, hope you don't mind i poach this idea from you? Cracking stuff.
Zakiyama wrote:
We try to be "better than organic" with more of a focus on animal welfare. My understanding of organic standards in general is that if you feed them even one uncertified apple, then they are no longer organic. As we want to accept other peoples kitchen waste eventually, we would never be all "organic".
Another thing you could do is get in contact with any local Wagashi (和菓子) stores and see if they need help disposing of their Azuki (小豆) bean skins, you'll need to check to see how they go about cooking their stuff first just in-case they use salt or whatever.

Zakiyama

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zakiyama »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:11 pm
Zakiyama wrote:
We put a little sign by our eggs that emphasizes their daily life. Like access to sunshine, scratchable earth, dust bath, free choice food, and a list of what they normally eat.
This is an eggcellent idea, hope you don't mind i poach this idea from you? Cracking stuff.
Of course! Please spread the good word of happy chickens!

And azuki skins is a great idea I wouldn't have thought of. I'll look around, thanks!