Chickens !!!!

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Here are some of our chickens on patrol in our hatake

They eat loads of insects and are particularly good at rooting out cutworms (ネキリムシ), after they've finished patrolling they return back to the run with all the other chickens

Kuwana Forest

Post by Kuwana Forest » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi all. To Zasso Nouka, would you be able to point me in the right direction for buying some chickens for egg laying? I'm in Kuwana, Mie. Is it even possible to get them transported regionally? I've recently built a chicken tractor for the back yard, and want to get 5 or 6 ladies to live in it. I'm thinking Boris Browns or Okazaki Ouhans. Have called around a few places but they only accept commercial orders.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:36 am

Hi Kuwana Forest,

Boris's and Ouhan's make very good free range birds, I got mine from Joyful Honda but I don't think there are any near you.

You could try @Eric in Japan's suggestion Piyokan, they are in Wakayama which might be a bit of a schlep for you but they do sometimes ship chicks if transport time is fairly short. You might have to set up a heat lamp if the chicks are very young.

Another suggestion that might take a bit longer to sort out is see if you can find a local small chicken farm and ask them if they could order you up a few chickens when they get their next batch in. We now get young point of lay chickens from a local farmer that also delivers chicken manure to us.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Would love to see your chicken tractor Kuwana Forest,

I've been thinking about building one myself and it's always great to see what other folk have made.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 pm

http://www.worldranch.co.jp/petsale/bird_001.html

Sells small numbers of chickens and chicks and will ship

LeeB

Post by LeeB » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:23 am

Wow - take a look at what other animals they sell at that website!!

Anyway, a couple of years ago here in Victoria the Labor government tried to implement some real draconian laws as far as keeping breeding animals. It meant that if you even had ONE dog/cat/bird you'd have to register as a breeder and go through all sorts of inspections, get a license, and pay a bunch of fees.

Thankfully, those rules/laws weren't implemented, but others were and the limit was set at 3 animals. Pet stores can not sell dogs from breeders and all dogs sold have to have a microchip, regardless.

Despite having a huge number of dogs here, Australia is really not a very dog friendly place with all sorts of rules, regs, and laws. I'd never take my dog to a normal beach as there is too much of a possibility of being fined some outrageous amount of money for breaking the rules.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 pm

So me and my wife plan on doing egg farming next year and we were really scratching our heads on how we'll go about building a coop. I was thinking of building a basic barn for them, Zassou Nouka suggested maybe one out of scaffolding as he saw someone use that on TV. Nice and cheap.
However there is another solution we come across, using those green hoop houses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi5KH1Z3UkE

So what do you think? Providing we make it predator proof with chicken wife and boars on the side and maybe an external fence it should be good to go right?
What do you guys and gals think?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:46 pm

Looks like a pretty neat setup.

I'd go with an electric fence on the outside maybe a metre or so from the edge of the tunnel. Keep part of the roof covered with plastic sheeting or it will turn into a swamp come the rainy season and summer but have plenty of netting on the side for ventilation then. You'd need to monitor temperatures and maybe have shade netting over it in the summer but all in all looks pretty good.

Zakiyama

Post by Zakiyama » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:09 pm

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 pm
So what do you think? Providing we make it predator proof with chicken wife and boars on the side and maybe an external fence it should be good to go right?
What do you guys and gals think?
Looks great! Your chickens should be very happy!

Not sure about your area, but we have a lot of weasels (itachi イタチ) here that go after chickens. The rule of thumb is that they can fit through a space the size of a 10 yen coin, so I don't know if chicken wire is robust enough for protection against weasels.

What kind of predators do you have to deal with in your area?

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:12 am

Zakiyama wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:09 pm
Not sure about your area, but we have a lot of weasels (itachi イタチ) here that go after chickens. The rule of thumb is that they can fit through a space the size of a 10 yen coin, so I don't know if chicken wire is robust enough for protection against weasels.

What kind of predators do you have to deal with in your area?
So far the only things I've seen are small snakes and inoshishi but we also have Tannuki and Hakubishin roaming about apparently.
I plan on getting some thin metal sheeting to drive into the ground for stuff trying to burrow underneath, as for the chicken wire I'd like to find something that's small but durable but not sure whats available here.
I did think about just boarding the sides but as far as airflow goes during the summer that might an issue unless I can get a house with a roof to open. But then I would need to fence that section up just in case.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.