Chickens !!!!

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
DocDoesFarming

Re: Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:20 pm
You may find it cheaper to buy a second hand yunbo and then sell it after use. The reason being the second hand value doesn't change much after use, also many hire companies won't lease one if you don't have a yunbo license even though it's not needed for use on private land. Or you may find a neighbour that has a yunbo and is willing to do a few days work for a reasonable price.
Not sure I got the cash to buy one secondhand. I do know a few people with one, just need to organise a way to get it delivered here, although before I do that I want to cut down the rest of the bamboo so I can do two places at once.
Finally got round to actually practicing on one of them at that typhooned farm, I just couldn't get my head around the left stick with the turning, very confusing at first.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:00 am
Looks like she's just either ripped or punched the trunk in half with all the blurring.
Awesome.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:14 am
Looks like she's just either ripped or punched the trunk in half with all the blurring.
Awesome.
I was trying to go for an arty motion blur effect on the log shooting out of the splitter but for some reason Mrs Nouka ended up getting blurred :oops:
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:12 am
Not sure I got the cash to buy one secondhand. I do know a few people with one, just need to organise a way to get it delivered here, although before I do that I want to cut down the rest of the bamboo so I can do two places at once.
Finally got round to actually practicing on one of them at that typhooned farm, I just couldn't get my head around the left stick with the turning, very confusing at first.
They do seem confusing when first starting to work one but within no time it becomes second nature and you'll be whirling it around like a pro :lol:

Tora

Post by Tora »

Are the local snakes or tomako (weasels) a problem for keeping chickens?
Been thingit would be nice to have some help dealing with our field of weeds and turning them into eggs along the way.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Snakes haven't been a problem so far, the chickens seem to really enjoy eating them :lol:

We have Itachi (not sure if they are the same as Tomako) but the lowest wire on the electric fence takes care of them, if you are going to buy an energiser don't get one from a Home Centre go for a foreign import instead like Stafix or Gallagher. The build quality is way better.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Thanks Zasso. I think itachi and tomako are the same. Maybe it’s local dialect. Now I sound like a bumpkin in multiple languages. Does that make me more multilingual?

Was thinking about letting the chickens go freerange on the “field of dreams” or doing a tractor type thing with an old rear-car or something. Not sure how the neighbors will feel about that....

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:25 am
Thanks Zasso. I think itachi and tomako are the same. Maybe it’s local dialect. Now I sound like a bumpkin in multiple languages. Does that make me more multilingual?
Absolutely :lol:
Tora wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:25 am
Was thinking about letting the chickens go freerange on the “field of dreams” or doing a tractor type thing with an old rear-car or something. Not sure how the neighbors will feel about that....
That would really depend on how many daylight predators you have in your area, our chickens free range in our hatake and so far itachi haven't been a problem as the chickens can get away from them. I'm kind of thinking itachi would really only be a problem in a confined space where the chickens can't escape and that's where the fence comes in to play. Once a predator has taken a jolt off the fence they give it a very wide berth from then on, you could try something out without a fence and see how it goes then if you need one buy it later, delivery is quite swift. If you have hakubishin around then you'd need a fence at night or a reasonably secure house for the chickens to sleep in that is raised up off the ground, hakubishin are determined and quite strong. Stafix make a range of mobile energisers that are available in Japan if you did decide to buy one later.

How is your area for hawks ?

Tora

Post by Tora »

I think there’s a hakubishin around as I smell their skunky marking a couple times a year. One of them “nailed” a couple of my friend’s chickens years ago so I understand the dangers there.

Not sure about hawks but there are a lot of tobi (tonbi?) in the area. Might be a hawk or two in there and we do seem to be on the migratory path for a number of different predatory birds. I like the reactions I get from the locals when I tell them I saw an “osprey” (misago) flying over the local beach near the airport.

We’d have to get an electric line installed from the utility pole (or string an extension cord over the road....) for a fence so I’d rather not do that if possible. Unless the fence is battery powered like some of the units I remember from years ago.

I wouldn’t mind if the chickens took out some snakes for me. Especially mamushi! I’ve seen almost every kind of snake in the region on our property. I’m thankful for the experience and their part in the ecosystem but they still give me the heebeejeebees. Especially when they fall from trees or look me in the eye while climbing around in trees.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We have tobi (or tonbi, I'm not sure either :oops: ) and I can't say for sure if they would bother chickens or not. They glide over our property regularly and occasionally you see them circling back for a second look at something but so far I haven't ever seen one try for a chicken but they are big enough to have a go if sufficiently motivated by hunger I reckon.

We only see Sashiba (which Wikipedia tells me is the Grey Faced Buzzard) in spring and autumn so I'm kind of guessing we are also on a migratory route. Taka (apparently any small hawk, today is turning out to be quite educational) are around all through the year so maybe not migratory but don't hold me to that. Both of those will have a go at chickens if they get the chance so you'll need some netting on the top of any enclosure.

The Stafix energisers I linked to are battery powered with an optional solar panel or you can run their ordinary energisers from a larger deep cycle battery.

It's always amusing to hear the squeals of shock when taking a snake I've found into the cafe and asking Mrs Nouka and her staff if the snake is dangerous or not :lol:

Tora

Post by Tora »

Thanks for bringing the fact it’s battery operated to my attention. I’m kinda slow about things in general and more so technology. I blame my beat up hands on all my knuckle dragging.

Not sure if we’ll be able to do the fence from the get go but I’ll keep it in mind if the neighbors start eating more chicken than me (we’ll actually be in it more for the eggs than meat....)