Incoming typhoons for 2021

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

scam lol... its more about starting to change lanes and THEN indicating.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Everyone in Kanto knows you only have to start indicating after you've made your turn :twisted:, what's the point in indicating before you want to turn ? That's for newbies and clueless gaijin.

Tora

Post by Tora »

In Shikoku, you’re supposed to signal while turning to let others know AND to remind yourself that you are turning.

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:58 pm
Everyone in Kanto knows you only have to start indicating after you've made your turn :twisted:, what's the point in indicating before you want to turn ? That's for newbies and clueless gaijin.
Judging by the locals, the proper procedure is suddenly brake hard, then signal left as you swerve right like a big rig (in your little kei) to make a left turn....and then if you're really polite, you hit the hazards "sumimasen" as the angry gaijin drives by, leaning on his horn and giving you the finger.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:02 pm

Judging by the locals, the proper procedure is suddenly brake hard, then signal left as you swerve right like a big rig (in your little kei) to make a left turn....and then if you're really polite, you hit the hazards "sumimasen" as the angry gaijin drives by, leaning on his horn and giving you the finger.
In Kansai, if you give ANY hint as to your upcoming direction change (especially applies to lane changes), whether it be feint or true, they will cut you off dead. Then there are the breakdown lane kamikaze drivers who will zoom up from waaaaay behind to be able to force their way into a lane merge. This is now the pinnacle of driving skills in the area.

However. What you drive used to count massively. Now just driving a Prius gives you license to ignore traffic lights, take up double parking space, reverse on an expressway when you miss your exit... enter said exit while flattening all those orange boinky boinky poles... etc etc and so on and so forth.

With the crackdown on yakuza and bosouzuku, one's ride has less and less sway on your right to the road. Gone are the days of curb to curb herds of motorbikes, all revving and weaving and generally being arsewipes... gone are the days of the skilled 'melody call' (the art of playing music with a bike or car accelerator) at 2:am. Gone are the massive flocks of VIP車 cruising through the night like a school of fancy sharks.

Now they all gather at parking areas and show off their tat like it still means something.

A friend of mine gave me a limited edition, champagne gold Nissan Cedric. It was old but only had like 20K on the clock. It had black windows, lowdown suspension, full aeroparts. I thought it might be fun to drive, but I had no idea of the perks that came with it.
People would give up their parking spaces for me. Changing lanes was absolutely no problem.
Late at night, the conbini parking riffraff would scatter like cockroaches when I drove in.
Once the police stopped me and when rolled down the window, he was surprised to see me and asked me if I were a 'talento' or a 'dealer'.

I shall leave you with some '80's nostalgia.

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

:lol:
Without outing myself too much, I was (and in a small way, still am) part of that car culture til it devolved into clueless, entitled, catalog "racers" that engage in money pissing contests. I went from Rally Car, to Drift, to VIP, and now I'm driving a Land Cruiser so maybe it's the natural progression? Not sure how it will feel once the CyberTruck shows up but since public roads is not possible anymore (the tire marks on my mountain and occasional hashiriya sighting tells me drifting still exists but too old for that) it's on to safer fun.

I do not to engage in road rage...leave that to the next crazed driver to deal with, but in the past I've had balls of tetsu when it comes to people being jerks. Before I sold my last vehicle, knowing it was beat and likely worthless, I never backed down from a game of chicken. This resulted in some hush money spending cash twice, when people rolled through stop signs into me as I passed (hey, I honked, just didn't stop or swerve) and was left with scuffed paint. I also had a massive waste of time when I backed into a prius at a highway parking area. Apparently, the prius owner let his yanki friend drive and he decided to fly through a pedestrian walkway, nearly hitting a family, before swerving in to my space as I was already backing in. I saw what happened, I just didn't stop, how could I when my friend in the car next to me gave me the nod. Unfortunately, the only lesson learned there was anywhere other than public roads here it's basically a free for all and you can drive/park however you like, police can't enforce anything driving related and insurance can't take any stance without enforceable rules. So....the next time this happened, yes, wasn't the first, certainly won't be the last...we let the guy walk away feeling he got one up on us...he was given a free tire valve inspection. All four valves looked to be in good order so we left them on the hood with the caps for him to check out when he was done with his break. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think even the tow truck drivers here normally carry a valve tool :twisted:

Tora

Post by Tora »

Looking like a new typhoon might form in the wake of #6 and head up the coast north of Tokyo early next week?

This windy app https://www.windy.com/?2021-07-26-06,33.248,141.438,5seems to be pretty accurate and fun to play around with if nothing else

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:52 am
Looking like a new typhoon might form in the wake of #6 and head up the coast north of Tokyo early next week?
I bloody hope not :pray:
Tora wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:52 am
This windy app https://www.windy.com/?2021-07-26-06,33.248,141.438,5seems to be pretty accurate and fun to play around with if nothing else
It a bit like the hypnotic wind map at Nullschool.net but with more features.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Typhoon 8 looks like it will hit next week

Luckily the current prediction is that it will be a tropical storm rather than full on typhoon so lets hope it stays that way.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Typhoon 8 seems to have Fukushima firmly in it's sights now so batten down the hatches guys and make sure everything is secured, you've got incoming.