Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Do you HoHoHo or Bah Humbug?

Post by gonbechan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Following up on a question somebody asked me just now,
do you celebrate Christmas?

If so, how and when do you do what you do?

We give Christmas a total miss and just get together over oshougatsu for good food and good company of immediate family in a very non traditional way.

CYEK

Re: Do you HoHoHo or Bah Humbug?

Post by CYEK » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Normally have a big xmas lunch with anywhere between 20-30 friends coming over. It's my day of the year to control the kitchen and food although last few years I haven't done as much cooking and settled for precooked chickens etc and a large xmas cake from costco.. No expense is spared and everyone gets to eat well.

Our tree is around 2.8 mt high in the living room and the kids enjoy putting up the decorations etc. Would like to put up a real tree but some people have allergies and this makes it easier. The only thing I haven't done so far this year is put some xmas lights and decorations outside.

If anyone wants to drop by this saturday you are welcome. just pm me for address and plenty of room if anyone wants to stay a few days and explore the area or do some skiing.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:45 am

Personally I quite like the way Japan doesn't indulge in all the false bonhomie and pointless present giving that passes for xmas in the west and just treats the 25th as another ordinary day. Like you guys we're getting everything ready for the big blow out at new year and catching up with friends and family then.

CYEK

Post by CYEK » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:04 pm

ZN, we must be living in different Japans. The one I live in has Japanese people lining up the day before and some ordering chicken from KFC as early as October. Xmas songs start when Halloween finishes and its turned in to a romance time for young couples. For me buying KFC to celebrate xmas would be the same as having McDonalds for shogatsu instead of Omochi. One of the main reasons Christmas isn't celebrated as a day off in Japan is because of religious connotations and that it also conflicts with the Emperor being a divine entity and can't be treated the same.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:36 pm

I think what Zasso it talking about is the all out overspending on presents and overpriced holiday food that goes on in the UK. (And other countries I presume too).
Trees with mountains of presents, tables groaning with turkey and smoked salmon and roast beef and bottles and bottles of champers and tins of overpriced chocolates and biscuits (cookies).
Presents for extended family members and friends, office parties, friends parties, party parties... the spending hardly stops until the New Year.
Pretty much a good percentage of the population faces January with crippling festive season overspending hanging over their heads.

Granted, one can bankrupt oneself in Japan too with Otoshidama if you have a very large, social extended family, but I think compared to Western Christmas, things are a little more subdued spend wise.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:23 am

I was joking CYEK, it would have to be a survival life or death situation where the only choice was starvation or eating some of the Colonels chicken before you'd find me tucking into one of his party buckets. I find his product to be bland and pretty unappealing to be honest.
gonbechan wrote:I think what Zasso it talking about is the all out overspending on presents and overpriced holiday food that goes on in the UK. (And other countries I presume too).
Trees with mountains of presents, tables groaning with turkey and smoked salmon and roast beef and bottles and bottles of champers and tins of overpriced chocolates and biscuits (cookies).
Presents for extended family members and friends, office parties, friends parties, party parties... the spending hardly stops until the New Year.
Pretty much a good percentage of the population faces January with crippling festive season overspending hanging over their heads.

Granted, one can bankrupt oneself in Japan too with Otoshidama if you have a very large, social extended family, but I think compared to Western Christmas, things are a little more subdued spend wise.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

gaijinfarmer

Post by gaijinfarmer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:51 pm

Either way, Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone! We do a nice dinner and a few presents under a tree for our daughter, but keep it low key. I'm happy to report that I heard very few muzak xmas carols this year and so could enjoy a few with our Christmas dinner.

CYEK

Post by CYEK » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Todays lunch was roasted chickens, pizza, home made garlic cheese bread (recipe from youtube), bltcheese pastry rolls, my special mash potato (which contains mixed vegetables and diced sausages), tomatos, eggs and of course cake. Tomorrow will be chocolate muffins with custard or some more of the Christmas cake which my son wants for breakfast. Merry Christmas or Merry Holidays which ever you prefer.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:34 pm

I hope everybody had the best day ever. (according to their idea of ideal wotsit)
Saturday passed quiet and lazy for us, which was brilliant as it was the first day of Senor Gonbe's year end vacation.
On Tuesday, Senor Gonbe's brother will pop round for dinner and I plan on making a lamb shank Guinness stew (sort of an Irish stew) in the crockpot on Monday night and letting it get itself ready for Tuesday.
The shank is cut in slices so the marrow can seep out into the stew. I am really looking forward to it.

Today we followed Paradoxbox's lead and put some sukima tape on the front door and the loo door (cause i always leave the loo window open) to stop the drafts and I must say there is quite a difference.
For lunch I braved a mega mac, and even now I feel stuffed and disinclined to have dinner, so that is very convenient.
If hunger strikes, I suppose we can have some toasted panettone with butter and a cuppa tea.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:40 am

We decorate our tree and house the first weekend after the 7th of December. X-Mas music comes on over internet radio. Allchristmas.fm or Happychristmasradio.net . We make some origami decorations, and the kids write letters to Santa, and Santa (wife) weeds out impossible dreams.
We watch all our favorite Christmas movies- Christmas Story, Elf, Fred Claus, and of course Christmas Vacation. Next year maybe Die Hard, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and the Peanuts Christmas will come back into our mix.
Being nominally Christian, I teach the kids about the Nativity, but not so hardcore as my mother would wish
We cook a large chicken or small turkey on either the 23rd or 24th, and have Turkey sandwiches on Christmas Day.
The kids wake up at 6AM on the 25th and when everyone is downstairs and mom and dad have coffee at hand, we open presents.
Then we Skype with my family back in MN, who are having their Christmas Eve dinner.

At my classroom, it starts 3 lessons before Christmas.
  • 3 weeks before, we put up the tree and the kids each hang an ornament
    2 weeks before, the kids all fold origami balloons and decorate them with Christmas wishes in English
    1 week before Christmas, we have a some popcorn, chips, and soda, talk about year end plans, and play games or have a fun quiz show type game.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"