Takenoko-man

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
Funasshi

Re: Takenoko-man

Post by Funasshi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Wow, looks absolutely lovely. You are lucky lucky.

I love takenoko gohan. Made a nice meal a few months ago after the incident, using prepacked, preboiled takenoko. (I made sure it was kokusan too)
BUT... I got real sick again, and after an hour of pain and dizziness had to call ambulance. They took me to the same doctor (I guess he is the night shift guy :D ) and as soon as he saw me he burst out: "You again? You like takenoko THAT much?" meaning I should just stop eating the stuff. Which I did.. at least to avoid the embarrassment of coming in a third time to the same doctor.
Last month I took a allergy test to make sure. The physician found it strange that I wanted to check for takenoko allergy. When he was filling in the forms to send to the lab, he actually found it very surprising that there even was a "takenoko" selection in the allergy request form. :)
Anyway, I got the results back and I am not allergic. Somehow my body must have remembered what happened the first time and reacted similarly. Just a theory. But anyway, although I love takenoko, I eat it in extremely cooked form and very very moderate amounts nowadays... Just to be sure. :whistle:

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox » Fri May 12, 2017 10:10 pm

That is very unusual. Maybe you have a hypersensitivity to it that doesn't show up on standard allergy checks.

Definitely a good idea to stay away from it. You might also want to be careful around satoimo (Taro?) / cassava since they contain similar cyanogenic compounds - if that indeed is what your body is reacting to.

Do you also have bad reactions to menma?

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi » Mon May 15, 2017 11:37 am

Hi paradoxbox

No, Menma, Sato-imo and pretty much everything else are OK for me. My strange reaction is only toward takenoko, and that is only in recent years. Before that I was fine.
I am starting to think it is only in my head...like a hypochondria thing, and the anxiety somehow manifests itself physically.
Only one way to find out I guess, if I am fed normal portions of takenoko without knowing it and show no reaction to it... :)