Senor Gonbe's new adventure

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Senor Gonbe's new adventure

Postby gonbechan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Senor Gonbe has decided to take up a new hobby.
Some parts of his hobby tools were delivered this afternoon.
Hopefully he will report back.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Senor Gonbe's new adventure

Postby Zasso Nouka » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:50 am

Is that a metal detector perchance ?

Ian

Postby Ian » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:33 am

The 350 with DD coil is a great choice Señor. :thumbup:

HH (Happy Hunting)

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Postby gonbechan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:20 pm

Perchance it is..
After much deliberation and research, it seemed the good choice for him to start his journey to fabulous riches or whatever fate may bring.
He went out on Saturday night for a test run at a small local beach and did only dry sand prospecting as he is just starting out.

Total haul included
1 sheet of unused beta blocker tablets (newly dropped)
1 pair of Dior sunglasses with much diamante bling on the hinges (not too shabby condition)
2x100 yen coins in very sorry condition (we will cherish these forever as the cornerstone of our new empire)
1 silver earring
Many genki drink bottle tops
lots of nails and various scrap wire wotsits

Not too bad for a first go.

This massive haul of riches inspired his brother to also order the Garrett Ace 350 and the two of them will be out trolling for pocket change, bottle tops and dropped rings every night of their obon vacation. (nothing beats latino macho rivalry)
They are both already talking about saving up for the Garrett pro... lol. Although they will both have to take swimming lessons before I allow them in the water past their ankles.

Watch this space.

Ian

Postby Ian » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Gonbechan - Great first hunt!

Have two Ace 150s, Sea Hunter Mark II, Infinium LS, and AT Gold. With a mix of coils, from sniper on up.
And used a Minelab over the goldfields in Australia, also great machines.

Can’t go too wrong with Garrett, although have recently replaced two plastic arm cuffs (Ace and AT Gold), they tend to break after a lot of use. Found metal ones on Ebay, from Ukraine of all places.

HH

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Postby gonbechan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Wow you sound like an old dab hand.
Also serious arsenal you have there.
Do you do beaches or do you prefer relic hunting?
We joined Friendly Metal Detecting Forum but the Japan section seems quite dead.
For now until they get used to their machines, I think Senor Gonbe and his bro will stick to the local beaches in the evenings after the hoipoloi have left.
But sooner or later they will want to go further afield, so if you have any recommendations I am sure they would love to hear them.

Flockaducks

Postby Flockaducks » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Good as! head out my way to izu and scope out the old mine might strike it rich!

Ian

Postby Ian » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Prefer the wet sand (saltwater and freshwater) Gonbechan.

Re. places to go. I suggest, like in fishing, search at your feet first e.g. your own garden.
Beaches, well, they change from tide to tide and wave / wind conditions.

One location I’ve never tried, but would love to, is at Fuji Rock in Niigata. Can imagine someone in a few hundred years, when the concerts and skiers have long gone, discovering that place with some fancy machine designed to pick out the desired metal. How about searching with a drone that does the digging too?! :D

It is a fun hobby for sure. If Señor and his bro are still going out regularly in a few years time, then they have passed the point of no return, it is terminal. :dance:
Many will give up due to all the rubbish though. Metal detectors = weapons of trash elimination. Nice white sand at some places, but underneath is another world. They may also find after digging e.g. ten beer cans from one hole, or bags of obento rubbish, that humans are pretty dirty and lazy animals.

Keep it as a hobby and avoid the gold fever mentality is my suggestion. In the case of Señor, the real ‘gold’ is possibly to get out there with his brother. Priceless!

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Postby gonbechan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:36 pm

At the moment they are pretty fired up.
Senor Gonbe's bro is impatiently waiting for his 350 to be delivered.
They both are well aware of the amount of gomi involved as they have spent hundreds of hours watching almost every beach detecting video on Youtube. LOL.

Senor Gonbe has of course already swept around the house and under the kitchen floor. We were very impressed with the amount of insulation under there. Box knife cutoffs and nails abounded. Sadly there was no buried treasure.

I think all it will take is one good ring to get them terminally hooked as they both have borderline addictive personalities.
These are 2 grown men who waited YEARS for the 2nd Starcraft to come out and both still religiously play.
Bro time has sadly been reduced to playing games and BBQing (they are Argentinian nissei.. they need their meat) so you are right, it is a great hobby to get them out and about together.

Fuji Rock .. lol.. roach clips, kiseru and dropped bodymod jewellery.. FTW it would be very interesting.
Your drone idea is rather a good one though..
Looks like other ppl are working on it

https://youtu.be/FuV_HnWyYvA

https://youtu.be/bETrmqSt704

paradoxbox

Postby paradoxbox » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:51 am

Awesome hobby!!

A guy I used to know made riches in Japan with gold prospecting and metal detecting in and around the Izu peninsula, mostly in the central part.

There is quite a lot of treasure to be found in an ancient country such as Japan, especially considering most folks are too nervous to try something like metal detectors. There are tons of old Japanese coins from the meiji (and older) eras just waiting to be found under a foot or so of soil.

Return to “General Chit Chat”