Strong Zero, the perfect ending for a hard day's work

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Strong Zero, the perfect ending for a hard day's work

Post by Zasso Nouka » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:38 pm

So with the festive season rushing towards us with all the calm and serenity of a run away train perhaps it's time for a little silliness and nonsense.

So, you've slogged through another day's toil, you've really put in maximum effort and now it's time to put your feet and chill. What better way to relax than with a couple of cans of Strong Zero and a nice hot bath ? For those that like a drink I thought that maybe we could review some of the current offerings and perhaps delve into some of the special releases that appear from time to time in your favourite combini.

To get the ball rolling I thought I'd start with the bulk standard Strong Zero's that you can find almost everywhere.

Double Grapefruit, my go to drink when too tired to bother picking anything else up in the conbini. A nicely tart flavour without being too sharp, it slips down easily and a couple of these bad boys will have you pleasantly sloshed without going over the edge.

Shequasar brings all the flavour of Okinawa right into your own house and when paired with the double grapefruit above makes a fine combination. It's almost universally available as with the double grapefruit and always a pleasure to imbibe after a busy day.

So what are other folks favourites ? Are there any regional specialties not widely available nationally ?

Eric in Japan

Re: Strong Zero, the perfect ending for a hard day's work

Post by Eric in Japan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:06 pm

I have been a Strong Zero shiikwaasa fan for years now, but due to recent health issues (gout) my wife has "recommended" I cut my intake to two 350ml cans/day on weekends. I have and always will prefer beer, but, as my doctor recently said- "Maybe you drank your lifetime's beer already..."
(full disclosure- I do still drink beer on special occasions and drinking parties, Wednesdays, and days divisible by 3... just kidding on the last two)

I have found that the Top Value (Aeon) store brands are an acceptable substitute for me, especially near the end of the month when mortgage, rent, and credit card (gasoline) bills cause me stress. The few tens of yen I actually save are mostly inconsequential (I could give up two convenience store coffees a month instead), but it makes me feel like I am tightening my belt a bit.

The Strong Zero Dry was simply... flavorless? Vodka and soda water. If you don't enjoy sweetness in your life, it works fine.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:32 am

Man I hear what you are saying about Aeon Chu-hi, it's great value, taste is almost indistinguishable from the regular strong zero. All in all it's a win/win for everyone and totally agree with you on the plain strong zero. Ok it does the job but then so does neat vodka but where's the fun in that ?
Eric in Japan wrote: my wife has "recommended" I cut my intake to two 350ml cans/day on weekends.
Does that mean you are free to go hell for leather the rest of the week then ? :D
Eric in Japan wrote: I have and always will prefer beer,
Then maybe we should start a canned craft beer thread, purely for documentation purposes you understand :razz:

I picked up a couple of special releases last night to enjoy this evening. The first one I'm not sure about but thought what the heck so will give it a try

And will be following that with this cheeky number

Thought it best to save the sour lemon till last in case the tomato chu-hi is awful and need something to wash the taste away

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:19 am

Well, I can happily report that the tomato chu-hi was actually quite pleasant. The most surprising thing was that it is a totally clear drink, having thought it would be something like a Bloody Mary with real tomato juice mixed in it was a pleasant surprise on opening the can to find that inside it was a completely clear drink with narry a trace of tomato juice or pulp yet had a strong and pleasant taste of tomato. Unusual to say the least.

The Sour Lemon was excellent, a strong and sharp lemon flavour with just a hint of sweetness. It's hard to pin down exactly how it differs from ordinary lemon strong zero. Probably in that it is a little more tart than the bulk standard one.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Apologies for the slight intermission in this thread but I was given a couple of cases of boxed Shochu cartons and evenings for the last few weeks have been a bit of an alcoholic blur. Still got a few cartons to finish off and then maybe give the ol' liver a bit of a rest to recover.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:52 pm

And so, with a suitably revitalised liver and having just finished our largest farmer's market of the year it's time to relax and chill out in style and what better way than breaking out the comfy deck chair and a brace of Strong Zero's.

Individual reviews may have to wait as it might not be possible after polishing this lot off :razz:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Some initial thoughts.......

We'll it all got a little philosophical out there with a bacon butty in one hand and a seemingly endless supply of chu-hi in the other but after watching the sunset over the forest behind our house and seeing the sky gradually fill with stars until the milky way was spread from horizon to horizon got a bit distracted by all the frogs down in the tanbo singing their hearts out and zoned out for a bit thinking how different our life is now from before. Previously we used to live in a large city surrounded by workshops and factories and the only way to experience a bit of nature was to drive for several hours to reach it and eventually had to return at the end of the day leaving that all behind. Now here we are surrounded by nature in all it's glory every single day of the year.

How was the chu-hi ? The lychee and pineapple really did encapsulate their respective flavours. The lime & orange was pretty refreshing, the two bitter orange flavours were good but a little generic.

xxxxtom

Post by xxxxtom » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Gday
Speaking of my better half, she has returned to Australia for a few weeks yesterday and following your lead I decided to get organized make some plans and settle in to bachelor life with a few beers and a vertual fruit salad of Strong Zeros.
Hence not much work was done on the house today.
Cheers

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:11 am

Now that sounds like an awesome plan Tom. Strong Zero makes the perfect ending for a productive day and because they keep on bringing out new flavours you never get bored.

Just wait for the summer and these bad boys start hitting the conbini freezers

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:09 am

I am not much of a drinker, I am a little alcohol intolerant, but even I like the IceSmoothie litchee and pineapple.
I think the delicious brainfreeze headache offsets too much inebriation haha.