Any programmers here?

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
paradoxbox

Any programmers here?

Post by paradoxbox » Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 pm

Who here programs stuff, either for fun or for work?

I've been a hobbyist programmer since I was in my early teens. Usually modifying other people's code to fit my purposes, but have created a few simple apps in a couple of languages.

Recently started checking Python out and was amazed at its simplicity, even easier than Visual Basic which was the last really simple language I tried. Pretty neat.

How do you feel about java these days? I am going to be building a combined web app & desktop app project that will be for small companies. The user load will be quite low but the companies will probably use the software for 15 or 20 years, maybe more. The database will eventually become huge with new entries every single day for the entire period it's used.

I originally wanted to do this in PHP for simplicity, but PHP seems to be on its way out, and I am nervous about its ability to handle databases that old and big, especially 5-10 years down the line. Not sure about Python yet. Java seems to have a lot of staying power and ability to handle that kind of thing, but it's getting old and perhaps is waning under Oracle's leadership.

Funasshi

Re: Any programmers here?

Post by Funasshi » Mon May 15, 2017 11:30 am

I dabble in programming by profession.
I hate it.