Post by gonbechan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:55 am

LeeB wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:35 am

Loved that video gonbechan put up!!

You're welkies, here is today's lineup

dayunbao

Re: What do you drive in Japan?

Post by dayunbao » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:49 am

Hilarious video. The person driving onto the sidewalk reminds me of China, although it was usually people on scooters who did crazy shit like that. You really had to watch out for the scooters in China. They were mostly electric, and therefore very quiet. So you usually couldn't hear them coming up behind you. You had to look 360 degrees around you before deviating from the trajectory you had been travelling, otherwise you might walk right in front of one. There was no way to predict from which direction one might be charging towards you.

Taiwan was only slightly better, although the scooters that EVERYONE there owned at least one of were gas powered, and went much faster. The cool kids would FLY down crowded, busy streets without helmets while talking on their phones. Seeing accidents involving scooters was a weekly occurrence, at least, while I lived in Taiwan. The people in cars weren't much better. There are some crazy dashcam collections from Taiwan. I just did a quick search and found this one:

I owned a scooter while I lived in Taiwan, but only drove it in the little town I lived in. I was far too terrified to ever drive it anywhere else.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 am

My favourite go to country for dash cam footage has always been Russia

They make you feel safe again driving on Japanese roads.

LeeB

Post by LeeB » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:36 am

Gee, makes me feel so much better being in Oz!!!

Used to cycle around the Gold Coast when we lived there and after about three months I put the bikes away and wouldn't allow the kid to ride one.

Just too dangerous. Melbourne used to be bad as well, but now they have a lot more bike paths so it is a much safer.

Lots of road rage incidents between bikes and cars though here.

Japan may be bad, but it looks like the number of traffic deaths has been decreasing. We do see on the news the reports of cars plowing into groups of students though.

Here in Oz one type of 'car accident' happens quite often which may surprise you - cars running into peoples' houses. Yep, the car goes off the street and into the house. Usually the bedroom.

When we first moved to Australia I had a hard time finding a house that didn't have the main bedroom in front of the house. That first house was nice that way with the main bedroom and on suite way in the back.

Out current house has that layout with the main bedroom in front as well.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:52 am

The Russian dashcam videos are always good for cringe-inducing fun. It really makes me wonder how cheap cars are there. People seem to drive them like they're free.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:56 am

LeeB wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:36 am
Here in Oz one type of 'car accident' happens quite often which may surprise you - cars running into peoples' houses. Yep, the car goes off the street and into the house. Usually the bedroom.
Drunk driving ? Or falling asleep at the wheel ?
dayunbao wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:52 am
The Russian dashcam videos are always good for cringe-inducing fun. It really makes me wonder how cheap cars are there. People seem to drive them like they're free.
And given that quite a lot of the accidents suggest at least one party didn't walk away completely unscathed it makes you wonder how good the health care is there to keep patching them up.

LeeB

Post by LeeB » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:23 am

"Drunk driving ? Or falling asleep at the wheel ?"

Pretty much sure it is not falling asleep at the wheel.

I think most are just hoons speeding down the road and losing control. Could be some booze involved in some of them.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:45 am

I've been driving a rental kei-truck around and am tempted to get one if I can find a used one cheaply. But I've also been thinking about trading in my Subaru 7 seater (only use the 6-7 seats a few times a year but it is handy to have) and get a used Hilux instead (I don't think you can get any other type of "truck" in Japan apart from an imported Ford or Chevrolet). Anyone driving a Hilux? How are they?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:53 pm

I used to drive a hilux surf. in fact I had 2 of them (not at the same time) (both diesel)
There is a reason they are the preferred vehicle of tinpot nation's goodsquads and banana republic's warlords.
They are pretty much indestructable and the diesel engine just goes on and on and on for years and years and miles and tens of thousands of miles.
They will run on dodgy backyard tempura oil biodiesel with absolutely no problem. In fact they run quieter on it with less black smoke.
With all terrain tyres they will run on the snowiest or muddiest of roads with no snow chains.
You can load (overload) the back (even the non truck ver) as much as you like and the front tyres will never float or lift)
The official hilux surf song should be 'my heart will go on and on and on and on and on and on....'

They are not however comfortable.
They have massive road noise as well as engine noise (forget actually listening to music in them or talking to fellow passengers)
They are bouncy AKA not really well balanced in the length of the wheelbase.
The AC sucks donkey's gonads.
Small things will break pretty soon like the door open light. It does not come on until the door is COMPLETELY AND WIDELY OPEN. The radio antenna, the little plastic thingies inside.
They sometimes leave the factory with all 4 tyres misaligned (happened to me both times)
But they will continue running.. forever and ever.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:55 pm

Ha i found this on youtube