Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: What do you drive in Japan?

Post by Zasso Nouka » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:25 am

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:45 am
I've been driving a rental kei-truck around and am tempted to get one if I can find a used one cheaply.
If you do go for a secondhand kei truck and can find a Daihatsu Jumbo you get a little more cabin room and can recline the seats but slightly less cargo space in the back. Subaru kei trucks often have a neat gearing system that automatically senses when the wheels start to slip and puts it in 4 wheel drive mode, also as the engine is placed further back on the frame they are quieter inside the cab.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:23 am

gonbechan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:53 pm
I used to drive a hilux surf. in fact I had 2 of them (not at the same time) (both diesel)
There is a reason they are the preferred vehicle of tinpot nation's goodsquads and banana republic's warlords.
They are pretty much indestructable and the diesel engine just goes on and on and on for years and years and miles and tens of thousands of miles.
They will run on dodgy backyard tempura oil biodiesel with absolutely no problem. In fact they run quieter on it with less black smoke.
With all terrain tyres they will run on the snowiest or muddiest of roads with no snow chains.
You can load (overload) the back (even the non truck ver) as much as you like and the front tyres will never float or lift)
The official hilux surf song should be 'my heart will go on and on and on and on and on and on....'

They are not however comfortable.
They have massive road noise as well as engine noise (forget actually listening to music in them or talking to fellow passengers)
They are bouncy AKA not really well balanced in the length of the wheelbase.
The AC sucks donkey's gonads.
Small things will break pretty soon like the door open light. It does not come on until the door is COMPLETELY AND WIDELY OPEN. The radio antenna, the little plastic thingies inside.
They sometimes leave the factory with all 4 tyres misaligned (happened to me both times)
But they will continue running.. forever and ever.
Hmmm, might not be a good replacement for the family car... but on the other hand if I find I don’t need to use it for the house I could install a machine gun on the back and become an Ibaraki warlord instead...

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:34 am

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:25 am
Ibaraki llama wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:45 am
I've been driving a rental kei-truck around and am tempted to get one if I can find a used one cheaply.
If you do go for a secondhand kei truck and can find a Daihatsu Jumbo you get a little more cabin room and can recline the seats but slightly less cargo space in the back. Subaru kei trucks often have a neat gearing system that automatically senses when the wheels start to slip and puts it in 4 wheel drive mode, also as the engine is placed further back on the frame they are quieter inside the cab.
Thanks - I’ve been driving a daihatsu hijet and it’s been pretty good. It’s a tad shorter in the cargo tray than the one I used before (can’t remember make).

UshikuDan

Post by UshikuDan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am

Toyota Sienta. Good family car. I’d love to downsize to a yellow plate car. Few more years until the kids are outta here.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:56 am

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:34 am
Thanks - I’ve been driving a daihatsu hijet and it’s been pretty good. It’s a tad shorter in the cargo tray than the one I used before (can’t remember make).
I have a Hijet and they aren't bad kei trucks and they can carry surprisingly long loads for their short length

And I wouldn't worry too much about loosing the extra passenger carrying capacity if you do trade in your current car as they can comfortably accommodate passengers in the back with ease :whistle:

UshikuDan wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am
I’d love to downsize to a yellow plate car. Few more years until the kids are outta here.

We used to have a Daihatsu Move and they are surprisingly spacious inside with what seems like a panoramic window screen, it's massive compared to most other kei's

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 am

Ha, that looks good - I need to carry 3m posts. No worries then!

Also, was wondering if I could fit 3 people across the front seat, seems the back would be fine for the kids!

We just got a used kei-car (Suzuki Alto), for my wife. Surprising okay to drive. Was trying to get her to get a kei-truck instead.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:10 am

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 am
Also, was wondering if I could fit 3 people across the front seat
Depends where the hand brake lever is I guess
Ibaraki llama wrote:
seems the back would be fine for the kids!
Folk drive around our village with people sat in the backs of their kei trucks quite often but it's best not to go out onto larger roads where you might meet the police.
Ibaraki llama wrote:
We just got a used kei-car (Suzuki Alto), for my wife. Surprising okay to drive. Was trying to get her to get a kei-truck instead.
Modern kei-car's are much better than they used to be.