Favorite Japanese Language Learning Materials?

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
LeeB

Re: Favorite Japanese Language Learning Materials?

Post by LeeB »

"Nihongo shark's kanji study method is the only way I have been able to learn kanji. I highly recommend it."

I have to admit that when I lived in Japan my reading was probably 100 times better than my speaking as I did a lot of Japanese to English translation. For example, things like company annual reports, Articles of Incorporation, and business plans, etc..

I also did a lot of research using Japanese language materials for academic publications in business and finance.

Shikiho was one of the books I used to read a lot along with the Nikkei.

As that method suggests I think the majority of classes and teachers use wrong methods to teach kanji and the way most people approach kanji learning is wrong.

As I said in an earlier post I used to carry around a kanji dictionary - I'd read it and learn groups of kanji at one time. And unlike most people on the trains I'd use the time to study rather than talk or sleep!!!

But once you actually learn kanji, you have to use them on a daily basis or you forget. One of the benefits of translating and actually living in Japan.

After living in Australia for well over 20 years now, I'm still able to read a lot, but I'd have to do a lot of brushing up to get anywhere near the level I used to be.

And as far as writing is concerned, well I used to be able to do a decent job, but once they came out with word processors that allowed you to pick and chose kanji.............well my ability went down hill.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao »

LeeB wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:39 am
And as far as writing is concerned, well I used to be able to do a decent job, but once they came out with word processors that allowed you to pick and chose kanji.............well my ability went down hill.
Yeah, I'm not even bothering to practice writing Japanese (kanji or kana) by hand anymore. I'm just typing everything in my iPad. This might come around to bite me in the ass later, but writing out kanji by hand over and over takes too long. I just don't have enough time for that.

Once I finished my Chinese language classes in China, I don't think I ever wrote a Chinese character by hand again. I read manga in Chinese regularly when I lived in Taiwan, so that, along with typing Chinese, maintained my reading ability. But I would have been hard-pressed at the time (and more so now) to write characters from memory.

It's interesting to see how Japanese uses some different kanji from Chinese (traditional or simplified), or uses a different variant of a character.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

I’m not learning to write by hand either but problems do arise when you have to fill out forms by hand. I have to write stuff in hiragana, which is fine but makes me feel like a child.

LeeB

Post by LeeB »

Ah, another one of the benefits of having a Japanese spouse!

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.