Job Hunting

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
LeeB

Re: Job Hunting

Post by LeeB » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:53 am

Oh, I forgot to mention education.

The system here is a mixed one with both public and private schools from primary to secondary.

The public (state) schools are really a mixed bag and can range from outstanding to pathetic. Private schools are generally better and these range from the church sponsored ones to elite, private schools.

Tuition is supposedly 'free' at the state schools, but there are often extra fees for things like school trips.

Private schools cost from $5000 a year to over $25,000 a year!!! Generally the church sponsored schools offer a good mix of quality and price. I think the private school down the road from us charges something like $22,000 a year now for high school years and the other one is around the $18,000 a year level. (Yeah they cost MORE than going to a university!)

All of the secondary high schools publish the results of the university entrance exam results here so you can see what you are 'buying'.

University here is 'cheap as chips' compared to the USA, but people still complain about the cost. Don't exactly know the figures now, but about $6000 or $7000 a year or more depending on the course. International students pay two or three time that and as a result universities here have become an industry rather than an education.Some departments are made up of over 40% foreign students. You can take out government loans or pay up front and get a discount (Citizens only though!)

When I paid for the kid, I found that the incidentals were the ones that really added up though: books, uniforms, fees, phone, train tickets, lunch money, etc. (Both at the private junior high school, high school and university).

Fortunately I'm done paying for all of that and the kid has no student debt at all. Now hopefully, once the PhD is done a good job will be able to be found.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:14 am

I don't have kids, and never will. So I don't have to take children's expenses into account when thinking about relocating. But if I did have/were planning to have any, then that would definitely be a major concern.

Although it's hard to say without having lived there, based on my experience living in other Asian countries and what I've seen of Japan, chances are I'll be staying there after moving.

LeeB

Post by LeeB » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:38 pm

"and what I've seen of Japan, chances are I'll be staying there after moving."

Good idea.

If I were younger and there hadn't been so many changes to pension, tax, and inheritance laws I'd be moving back to Japan.

As a result of numerous changes over the past 35 or 40 years Japan offers lots of opportunities to 'youngsters' or people in their early 30's or 40's.

One of the biggest is the ability to purchase real estate at a very reasonable price outside the big cities.

The huge salaries that were present during the bubble and before the huge influx of foreigners to take advantage of 'en daka' isn't there anymore, but there are more self employment opportunities as a result of changes in technology, changes in attitudes, and better rand cheaper access to the world.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:15 am

Yeah, my dream is to work remotely from a nice house I bought for cheap (and paid for in full upfront) in the countryside. No rent. No mortgage. Just save all my money.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:40 am

I applied to a job with Square Enix, which is a company I'll bet most of you know. I got an email back requesting I write an essay about my "desires and aim I'd like to achieve" if I joined. Haven't done a search for how to write letters like that yet. I'm part of a Slack channel of software devs in Tokyo, and I think one of them works in the game industry. Hopefully he can give me some tips.

LeeB

Post by LeeB » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:47 am

"I got an email back requesting I write an essay about my "desires and aim I'd like to achieve"

Sounds to me like a dreaded form the selection criteria 'disease' has spread to Japan. I often see these types of requirements in positions for Japanese universities along with 'provide a syllabus for two classes' sorts of stuff.

Never, ever had to do that kind of stuff when I lived and worked in Japan.

Oh, I had to undertake research, write papers, and publish along with writing some textbooks..........

It also reminds me of all the crapola that one has to write for State and Federal jobs here in Oz. You write pages of selection criteria about this and that which seemingly have nothing to do with the job at all. They even have professional 'selection criteria' writers here that you can hire to write the stuff for you.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:37 am

dayunbao wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:40 am
I applied to a job with Square Enix, which is a company I'll bet most of you know. I got an email back requesting I write an essay about my "desires and aim I'd like to achieve" if I joined. Haven't done a search for how to write letters like that yet. I'm part of a Slack channel of software devs in Tokyo, and I think one of them works in the game industry. Hopefully he can give me some tips.
Square Enix is famous for no paid overtime but expecting you to work like stupid hours as it is in your 'discretion' to finish your job in a timely manner.
Their flexi time thing also allows them to skirt the illegal amount of (unpaid) overtime they expect you to do. By stating that work is 'flexitime' means they never need to pay the extra 25% for overtime or work done on Sundays and holidays.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 am

This isn't a game dev job, but is with the division of SE that does graphics. It's a tool building job. Of course, that doesn't mean there isn't BS, but I've avoided game dev jobs for all the reasons listed above.

I am scheduling an interview with another company in Japan, too.

Sayali Kulkarni

Post by Sayali Kulkarni » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:22 pm

Excellent Thread!!
placement agencies in pune

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:48 pm

Thank you Sayali Kulkarni but we are mainly interested in job opportunities in Japan rather than India. I've disabled your link as it isn't really relative to what this forum is about and also placed you into the moderation queue so any future posts will have to be approved by a moderator before they become visible to protect our community from spam.