Incomming typhoons for 2019

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
DocDoesFarming

Re: Incomming typhoons for 2019

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:09 pm
Hope everyone up in Fukushima and Ibaraki is ok tonight. We've had some really intense rain here through the day and many rivers around us are overflowing now and there have been quite a few landslides around Chiba today.
Everything seems fine here. No new landslides from what I see.
We're off to help dismantle those houses and clean up the farm that got trashed from the previous typhoon.
Plenty of exercise.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

@DocDoesFarming, glad you guys are ok but the farm you've been working at looks absolutely wrecked. Hopefully they can spend the winter sorting it out and get back to production in the spring.

We'll see how the next few years play out but if we are going to get more frequent typhoons then we'll have to think more and more ways to deal with them or mitigate the damage when they do pass through. It's doable I reckon, just a case of finding out what works and what doesn't, which locations are protected and which places are vulnerable.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Wouldn't building walls and such on the more vulnerable rivers help a bit or is that a futile effort?

We'll definitely have to cut the trees down at the back of the house, as much as i like them I don't really want to be flattened by one of them.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Levees are good and if planned properly can provide protection. I was thinking on a more personal level what folk can do, like choosing a location you think might be less vulnerable or having a mixed forest of mosso dake and trees between you and the direction incoming typhoons are likely to arrive from will help break the winds up and provide protection.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17 am
We'll definitely have to cut the trees down at the back of the house, as much as i like them I don't really want to be flattened by one of them.
They'll make excellent firewood once they've dried out ;)