Incomming typhoons for 2020

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
Tora

Post by Tora »

Shizuman wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:31 pm
I was the same
Cousins were into shortboards and all the fancy stuff, not me.
Thanks for the info mate! Do you have any issues with jellyfish? I got told that after Obon theres quite a few around.
Shirahama beach looks like it has a good wave from the satellite photo I saw. Do you get a lot of people coming down from Yokohama and Tokyo?

I got zapped by a jellyfish for the first time in a while yesterday. No marks or pain today though. My daughter got stung in July. I don’t notice a specific season. I think it’s an old wives tale to prevent kids skipping out on school and going to the beach. Might Good reason to wear a suit or jellyfish cream if your area has problems. Never used it but some people swear by it.

Stingrays can be bad in places. I got nailed twice on my foot. Both times I took my daughter out to play in the afternoon so it was no big deal. Hurts a bit but heat neutralizes the point. Think a real hot bath that you have to eeeeeaze into. Infection after the fact can be a problem but a little penicillin usually takes care of it if necessary. My doctor smiles when I tell him my visit is surfing related- again.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Tora wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:28 pm
Shirahama beach looks like it has a good wave from the satellite photo I saw. Do you get a lot of people coming down from Yokohama and Tokyo?
Get heaps of people from Tokyo, can get fairly crazy on the peninsula on a long weekend, but the surf looks pretty good!

Might invest in a suit, im not a fan of the jellies. Although back home never got bit, stung or anything else so i dont know why im squeamish. Yea i have flashback to the crocodile hunter steve irwin, he came off second best with a stingray

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Shizuman wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:36 pm
Tora wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:28 pm
Get heaps of people from Tokyo, can get fairly crazy on the peninsula on a long weekend, but the surf looks pretty good!

Might invest in a suit, im not a fan of the jellies. Although back home never got bit, stung or anything else so i dont know why im squeamish. Yea i have flashback to the crocodile hunter steve irwin, he came off second best with a stingray
Yeah while the dangerousness of Australia is so overplayed online I still expected Japan to be more tame but I’ve run into every kind of dangerous thing that I ran into back home + there’s bears here :lol:

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

yea mate for sure. I have no wish to meet a bear

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

VanillaEssence wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:59 pm
Yeah while the dangerousness of Australia is so overplayed online I still expected Japan to be more tame but I’ve run into every kind of dangerous thing that I ran into back home + there’s bears here :lol:
You guys have some truly terrifying creatures, to us Europeans it seems like just about everything is trying to kill or seriously injure you in some way :lol:

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

I think Australians have fun exaggerating that stuff online even tho they never leave suburban Sydney where the most dangerous thing is other Australians. Basically the only really frightening things are crocodiles and sharks and they’re easy to avoid. Few people live anywhere near where Salt Water crocodiles. Snakes kill like 1 person a year and it’s always drunk men who try to touch them. Seen snakes here too no idea if they’re poisonous or not but I really don’t think Aus is very much more dangerous than Japan

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

I studied wildlife at uni in Aus and I got to see/trap/hold quite a few of the "deadly" animals and unless like vanilla says your a complete pelican i would say the most dangerous thing is yea the surf and the outback. Lot of stories of people going on a nature walk in the outback an dying of dehydration or going for a swim at bondi and the surf life savers dragging em back out. But thats not so different from here, or anywhere else. Then again gotta watch out for drop bears in Aus, those things will tear your face off! :lol:

Tora

Post by Tora »

VanillaEssence wrote:
All the venomous snakes and spiders there would make me nervous. I knew a guy from Melbourne who squealed like a schoolgirl when he saw a spider here in Japan. Then there’s th story from a couple years ago about the kayaker stalked by a crocodile in northern Australia over the course of a few days. And great whites nibbling on surfers.

I’ll take the bears. I’ve chased off a bear in my underwear- didn’t have time to stop and think about my apparel at the time. Sure felt vulnerable when I realized the state I was in. Don’t wanna end up in the news as a “Seminudist mauled by bear”.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Tora wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:22 pm
VanillaEssence wrote:
All the venomous snakes and spiders there would make me nervous. I knew a guy from Melbourne who squealed like a schoolgirl when he saw a spider here in Japan. Then there’s th story from a couple years ago about the kayaker stalked by a crocodile in northern Australia over the course of a few days. And great whites nibbling on surfers.

I’ll take the bears. I’ve chased off a bear in my underwear- didn’t have time to stop and think about my apparel at the time. Sure felt vulnerable when I realized the state I was in. Don’t wanna end up in the news as a “Seminudist mauled by bear”.
Snakes are really timid and actually always try to slither away from you as fast as possible. Sharks are easily avoidable too. North Australia is definitely spookier tho. Salt water crocs are evolutionary killing machines. They are so intelligent that Kakadu national park recommends that you don’t draw water from a river from the same place twice because they are smart enough to wait for you. Probably the only animal I am really afraid of. They also live in the Phillipines so there’s probably places in Japan closer to salt water crocodiles than where I lived in Australia.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

To be fair though it's not just the wildlife you have to worry about in Australia, you also have some nasty plants like the gympie gympie.
Tora wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:22 pm
"Semi bare-naked man tackles Bear barely"

Do you get many bears in your area?
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.