What are you reading?

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

What are you reading?

Post by gonbechan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:53 pm

I am a prolific reader and am quite eclectic in my tastes.

It is always inspiring to see what other people are reading and it often leads me to authors I wouldn't have found on my own.

I had it on my iPad (kindle app) for ages but only just recently read
Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Wicked Bestiary
It was a quick read but I really enjoyed it and chuckled most of the way through the quite enlightening book.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Zasso Nouka » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:06 pm

You're going to be sorry you asked, I'm just revisiting the timeless classic
cat.gif
cat.gif (24.55 KiB) Viewed 323 times
And then I thought I'd move on to the ever riveting
cat (1).gif
cat (1).gif (17.09 KiB) Viewed 323 times
:ugeek:

akikana

Post by akikana » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:36 am

Spy and detection work best for me. Currently reading:

Spring Tide by Cilla and Rolf Börjlind

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:31 pm

I am trying to read the new book in the Millenium series: The Girl in the Spider's Web
But since Stieg Larsson died, I don't know if I will enjoy the newer books as much.
Time will tell.

CYEK

Post by CYEK » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:21 pm

How to legally reduce your TAX by Phil Ward. It is outdated but fun reading, especially filling out tax forms and the language to use.
Some useful phrases for making claims. Clear nextus with earning my income. Unavoidable in the circumstance. Necessarily incured in the gaining of income. And best of all is Incidental and relevant to my occupation.

Lazi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lazi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:25 pm

CYEK wrote:How to legally reduce your TAX by Phil Ward. It is outdated but fun reading, especially filling out tax forms and the language to use.
You and Zasso seem to read equally 'interesting' books :lol:

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:40 am

Currently finishing up War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, and I also have a few others going simultaneously:

Five Acres and Independence - an old book but still fantastic for anyone who's living in the country. Stuff related to chemicals and specific fruit/vegetable varieties may be long gone but practices and building methods etc. are all very much applicable even now. Lot of good advice in this cheap book. More of a reference book than a cover to cover reader.

ARRL Amateur Radio Handbook - 2014 edition - planning on getting my "General" class American Ham Radio license in January, then converting it to a Japanese reciprocal license so I can legally hit the airwaves with my radios (I've got 3 hand-transceivers and one boat anchor from the 70's, vacuum tubes and all. The thing is amazing - can talk to people as far away as Hawaii or India even in winter. In summer the range goes even farther). Definitely recommend a ham radio license for all country folk - after experiencing cell phone system collapses during earthquakes, fireworks displays, snowstorms, etc. it's nice to have something that will always work no matter what.

Minor Emergencies, 2nd edition - a book meant for doctors but absolutely fantastic advice, if a little deep, on how to treat common emergency situations ranging from bee stings to arterial lacerations / knife wounds etc. Also has stuff on infectious disease, bacterial infections, treatment regimens etc. Very good information if you're the kind of person who prefers to treat yourself first rather than go to a doctor, or if you're in a position where you have no access to a doctor. Teaches about correct treatment regimens for certain sicknesses with antibiotics which may be an eye opener for a lot of people who don't understand how antibiotics actually work. Good reference book, put this beside your first-aid manual on your book shelf and read it once a year.

Hoppenfield's Physical Examination of the Spine and Extremities - Another reference book meant for doctors, and quite old, early 70's maybe? Lot of good information in here about basic physical examination techniques that you rarely see JP doctors do at all, and even young foreign doctors often lack knowledge of. Good book for keeping yourself and family basically healthy, understanding what causes neck/back/arm/leg pain and how to avoid it, as well as general warning signs that can help identify an emergency before it's too late.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:20 am

Great list you have there and your last book brings me to my post, haha.
Last week I ruptured a disc in my back so am pretty much taking things easier than usual.
I thought I would treat myself to some easy reads and have been on a Dick Francis binge.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:42 am

Maybe you should go see Doc Paradoxbox :)

Seriously though some good books Paradoxbox, useful skills to have when life can get disrupted by natural disasters like typhoons and earthquakes. I'm just starting on a couple of books you might find interesting. The New Organic Grower and The Winter Harvest Handbook both by Elliot Coleman and interesting reads for anyone growing their own food.

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:17 am

Well, let's see.
The bedside book: When All Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin
The toilet book(s): The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons
Living room book: The Knowledge by Lewis Dartnell
Reference book: Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets by Jim Tolpin
e-book: Sitka by Louis L'Amour
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"