What are you reading?

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: What are you reading?

Post by gonbechan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:59 am

I have delved into a trilogy and gobbled up the first strange book, and loved it in all it's idiosyncrasies. I am well into the second book and still enjoying it immensely.

Well-Built City Trilogy by Jeffrey Ford

Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:16 pm

We got Hulu a while back and finally started watching "Game of Thrones" so the wife got me the first 5 books on Kindle.
I have always liked fantasy epics like that.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:22 pm

I read all the GOT books so far, but with increasing irritation at all the detail given to food and to the intricate build up of characters who would then, in the next chapter get stabbed/hung/gutted and die.
Now I am just left wondering if he will ever finish the series.

donguri

Post by donguri » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Zasso Nouka wrote: Maybe give Cloud Atlas a go if you enjoy a bit of sci-fi, it's a bit of an eclectic read ranging from the South Pacific in the 1850's through to the far future and back again. The film adaptation is none to shoddy too, although they tweaked the story a little.
I loved that book and have read everything else Mr Mitchell has written!
Eric in Japan wrote:We got Hulu a while back and finally started watching "Game of Thrones" so the wife got me the first 5 books on Kindle.
I have always liked fantasy epics like that.
I just burned through all 3 seasons on Hulu and am thinking about jumping into the books too.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:06 pm

donguri wrote:
Zasso Nouka wrote: I loved that book and have read everything else Mr Mitchell has written!
He's quite good isn't he. Apparently he taught English over here for a number of years :).
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

donguri

Post by donguri » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:45 am

Zasso Nouka wrote: He's quite good isn't he. Apparently he taught English over here for a number of years :).
That's right, he did. The way he wrote about it in either (both?) Ghostwritten or Number 9 Dream, it was obvious he'd spent actual time in Japan. And I believe he's married to a Japanese woman as well.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:11 pm

I must admit I don't normally delve into writers personal lives but looking back you are absolutely right it does show in his writing.

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Just a couple books that I found very helpful and wanted to recommend, some of you may have run across them already.

Just Enough: Lessons in Living Green From Traditional Japan by Azby Brown

and
A Different Kind of Luxury: Japanese Lessons in Simple Living and Inner Abundance by Andy Couturier

Both I think are done well in different ways. Brown's is a nice journey through life in the Edo period and how some of that wisdom can and should be used today. Nice overviews of different aspects and classes of life, and fun and helpful drawings.

Couturier's book gives a glimpse into the lives of very thoughtful, authentic, earnest folk living lives far removed from the modern definition of luxury, yet full of the type of abundance that really matters.

Both of these books were excellent sparks for me when I was looking to bring some of my thoughts together on the way I wanted to live my life going forward. In particular, the idea of "a different kind of luxury" was something that resonated with what I had beed thinking.

I urge you to check them out if you get the chance, though not necessarily through the Amazon Japan links I put above, their prices for electronic versions especially can be a bit absurd.
Brett Rasmussen

http://www.okibi.jp

Yamabiru

Post by Yamabiru » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:21 pm

I'm juggling 2 during vacation

Japanese Inn: A reconstruction of the past. - Statler( a great history of the Tokaido)

History and
Guide to the Copper Cash Coinage of Japan - Jones

gaijinfarmer

Post by gaijinfarmer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Japan's Cultural Code Words. Ive been here 12 years and it's still incredibly enlightening!