What are you reading?

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
KumamotoHunter

Re: What are you reading?

Post by KumamotoHunter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Recently bought a lot of secondhand books from Amazon. Currently reading this one:

It's interesting.

xxxxtom

Post by xxxxtom » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Just finished reading " the one hundred year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson a Swedish comedy novel not bad.
Reading now , The Glass Room" by Simon Master loosely based on a Czech modernist house Villa Tugendhat . Interesting

CYEK

Post by CYEK » Tue May 09, 2017 11:48 pm

Reading some of the posts and threads since l was on last time.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:08 pm

Currently reading Malazan Book of the Fallen.

For those who want a finished series to read instead of waiting 5 years between books, you should check this series out. They seem to get bigger and bigger each book....
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman » Wed May 01, 2019 9:28 pm

Currently reading "How we got to now" by Steven Johnson. Very interesting book about the path of discoveries, for example how a long time ago some people discovered a hard see through material and now we have microbiology as an indirect result, very well worth a read.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:13 pm

I've been a Judge Dredd/2000AD fan since probably around the time the amazing Stallone Judge Dredd film from 1995 came out (it's a guilty pleasure of mine), recently I decided to start reading the issues from scratch, so far 105 odd issues in, 2000+ to go, plus the 400+ Judge Dredd Megazines.
Might take me a few years.

Anyway, any 2000AD fans here? If not, why not?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:31 am

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:13 pm
Big 2000AD fan here, only wish I still had my original issues from day one but back then it didn't seem important to keep them :cry: . Are you reading them in paper form or digital ?
DocDoesFarming wrote:
I've been a Judge Dredd/2000AD fan since probably around the time the amazing Stallone Judge Dredd film from 1995 came out (it's a guilty pleasure of mine)
Must confess to preferring the Karl Urban Dredd film over the Stallone version, bit more grittier and darker, hopefully they'll get the tv series finished soon. That would be awesome to see.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:14 am

DocDoesFarming wrote:
I'm a fan of the Karl Urban Dredd film, too. For what it is (dark dystopian violence without much plot or character building), it's pretty much a perfect movie, I think. And you gotta love seeing Cersei Lannister as an ex-hooker drug lord with a cut up face! I'm pretty excited about the TV series, although I had forgotten they were working on it. The Stallone movie isn't quite my style. I've tried reading some of the 2000 AD comics, but they also weren't quite my style.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:09 am

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:31 am
Are you reading them in paper form or digital ?

Must confess to preferring the Karl Urban Dredd film over the Stallone version, bit more grittier and darker, hopefully they'll get the tv series finished soon. That would be awesome to see.
Digital, I managed to find a massive 20GB torrent of them, plus downloading the missing ones individually.

The Karl Urban one is definitely the best out of the two by a long shot. The Stallone one is so shit it's good type of film, I remember picking up that Lawman of the Future series they did back in the day also.

We also have the Rogue Trooper film in development to look forward to.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:14 am

dayunbao wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:14 am

I'm a fan of the Karl Urban Dredd film, too. For what it is (dark dystopian violence without much plot or character building), it's pretty much a perfect movie, I think.
It's a shame the film got shafted by the lack of advertisement and the fact they were pushing for the whole 3D side of things. When it was released in the UK they had only 22 cinemas that were showing it in non 3D. Not everyone wants to see a film in 3D, and i'm glad that 3D has died away again altogether mostly.
I'm sure they only had only one trailer for the film that was shown a few months before the release also.