What are you reading?

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
DocDoesFarming

Re: What are you reading?

Post by DocDoesFarming »

I just finished "Kings of the Wyld" by Nicholas Eames the other day, holy hell this book was amazing.

"A retired group of legendary mercenaries get the band back together for one last impossible mission."

It's a world filled with monsters and there are groups or "bands" of Mercs that go out hunting them, it's basically what if a Metal Band were mercenaries that had fans and "tour" to different places doing missions.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

cook015

Post by cook015 »

I read Just Enough too, and have longed for a time machine ever since just to go take a look. I'm sure there are more unsavory aspects of the Edo Period, or any period, than I can imagine, but for a civilization to start as an ecological basket case and end in state of ecological health, that to me seems the bottom line. Civilizations aren't supposed to do that. Ever since I read the book, I wondered, shouldn't we design a community like that? We don't have to have feudal lords and all that, but the lifestyle looks very intriguing. I would just ask to keep modern dentistry, germ theory, and a few other sustainable benefits of modernity.
Last edited by cook015 on Sun May 31, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cook015

Post by cook015 »

I read Just Enough too, and have longed for a time machine ever since just to go take a look. I'm sure there are more unsavory aspects of the Edo Period, or any period, than I can imagine, but for a civilization to start as an ecological basket case and end in state of ecological health, that to me seems the bottom line. Civilizations aren't supposed to do that. Ever since I read the book, I wondered, shouldn't we design a community like that? We don't have to have feudal lords and all that, but the lifestyle looks very intriguing. I would just ask to keep modern dentistry, germ theory, and a few other sustainable benefits of modernity.
BrettRas wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:42 pm
Just a couple books that I found very helpful and wanted to recommend, some of you may have run across them already.

Just Enough: Lessons in Living Green From Traditional Japan by Azby Brown

and
A Different Kind of Luxury: Japanese Lessons in Simple Living and Inner Abundance by Andy Couturier

Both I think are done well in different ways. Brown's is a nice journey through life in the Edo period and how some of that wisdom can and should be used today. Nice overviews of different aspects and classes of life, and fun and helpful drawings.

Couturier's book gives a glimpse into the lives of very thoughtful, authentic, earnest folk living lives far removed from the modern definition of luxury, yet full of the type of abundance that really matters.

Both of these books were excellent sparks for me when I was looking to bring some of my thoughts together on the way I wanted to live my life going forward. In particular, the idea of "a different kind of luxury" was something that resonated with what I had beed thinking.

I urge you to check them out if you get the chance, though not necessarily through the Amazon Japan links I put above, their prices for electronic versions especially can be a bit absurd.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

cook015 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:59 am
Ever since I read the book, I wondered, shouldn't we design a community like that? We don't have to have feudal lords and all that, but the lifestyle looks very intriguing. I would just ask to keep modern dentistry, germ theory, and a few other sustainable benefits of modernity.
It does sound like a nice way to live, incorporating the best from the past with the best from modern times to make a sustainable and more human way of life.