What are you reading?

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
DocDoesFarming

What are you reading?

Post by DocDoesFarming »

You can share books using Calibre? Didn't know that, I only use it for converting books to MOBI.
gonbechan wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:36 pm
I still have over a thousand real books, all now in boxes, that I don't know what to do with. Nobody wants them and I just can't bring myself to throw them away.
That's a crazy amount of books to own D:
What about donating them to the local library? Ours has a very very small selection of English only books, usually odd books from series.
Either that or sell them at Bookoff and earn yourself many 100s of yen. Megabucks.

Also reading that many books a week? I wish I was that quick a reader :(
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

What are you reading?

Post by gonbechan »

Sadly, when I was young, I took a speed reading course at school. I thought it was a good thing at the time but it means that I can read a book in 3 hours for an average one and maybe 5 hours for something hefty.
I only read in bed before going to sleep and read about an hour (or sometimes I will just read the whole damd book if I can't help myself) every night.
Reading faster is not as wonderful as you think. It shortens the pleasure of an amazing book, especially one you wish would go on forever.

I offered the books to our library and they weren't interested. I offered them to the seaman's mission in Kobe, and they weren't interested.
I might just list them on one of the Facebook mottainai pages, random box of books chakubarai haha.

At first transitioning to digital books for me was hard, I used to LOVE gazing at my overstuffed bookshelves. Now.. phhht just gimme the books.

DocDoesFarming

What are you reading?

Post by DocDoesFarming »

I thought speed reading was one of those things you could turn on or off?
Before you tool that course were you a fairly quick reader?
If you're blasting your way through stuff do you still picture in your head what's happening and such and hearing the characters speak?

I avoided Kindle for ages then when I realised I could load one of them bad boys up with all the books I wanted for free, never went back.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

What are you reading?

Post by gonbechan »

Yeah I have always had a 'multithreaded' brain haha. Have been a prolific reader from a relatively early age.
And yes I get the whole experience, imagining the people, the places, the dialogue etc, just quicker than most.

I read in blocks not line by line and it is pretty hard to 'turn off' because the eyes and brain are wired to work that way now.

For me, reading has always been a way for me to slow my brain down to one track before sleeping. But I consider it one of life's pleasures, even more than movies or tv etc. It is your own personal great escape, tailored by your brain for you. A really good writer IMHO, leaves the details up to the reader and just supplies the juicy meat of the plot.