What are you doing? (Hobby-wise)

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Studied photography at Uni and like most students who finished their course, never got a job even remotely related to their chosen subject.
Anyway after 10 or so years of not actually doing "proper" photography I recently decided I wanted to give it a go again, however instead of choosing the simple digital route I've decided to go for the more money draining film route and got myself another Canon A-1 35mm camera.
Why? I guess I like having no money.
But seriously though I would like to print my own images again in a darkroom and maybe try and make some money off this in the future, for the mean time however I'll just send the negatives off to get developed and scanned for me.

So has anyone else decided to take up any new hobbies or return to any?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Ive been going slightly mad during this quarantine. Since I have very little space here I’ve been trying to think of what creative pursuits are possible in small spaces. I’m thinking about picking up leather working as its not only creative but you can make practical things - not just keychains. Ideally I’d like to do woodworking but I think it will be a number of years before I have a workshop. I’d love to rent a shed somewhere in the middle of nowhere or something

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Leather working would be a great little money earner if you can do something that stands out from the rest.
Also it's a nice chilled out hobbie.

As far as woodworking goes, what about doing something like 版画 if you're artisticly minded? You can usually buy the cheapo chisels at 100yen shops, same goes for the wooden planks I think.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Big fan of the Dave Bull YT channel. That’s not a bad idea! I’ve thought about it before but I don’t think I have sufficient hand-eye coordination for that. I might think about it tho.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Woodworking is a great hobby, can be pricey though, my wife gave me the ok to buy a table saw recently and I've been messing around building bee hives, would love to build an Alaskan mill and snaffle some cedar and go to town on it. Leather working sounds like fun, never thought of it. would be cool to partner with a hunter and make locally sourced leather goods!

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Not sure it is a hobby but this year started baking bread 2 or 3 times a week. (before I just did it for special)
Most of the time it is just whole wheat or rye mix bread rolls which are way more versatile than loaves of bread but every now and then I splash out and make something like croissant or a brioche.
I found some really good flour on amazon and use only that now.

I did buy a bunch of polymer clay but it is so expensive, I have been a little scared to start a project. I might get some stone powder clay from amazon and begin with that.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

gonbechan wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:53 am
Not sure it is a hobby but this year started baking bread 2 or 3 times a week. (before I just did it for special)
Most of the time it is just whole wheat or rye mix bread rolls which are way more versatile than loaves of bread but every now and then I splash out and make something like croissant or a brioche.
I found some really good flour on amazon and use only that now.
have you branched out to sourdough at all?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I've been relearning how to cook Indian food again, got bored of the generic curry available locally so decided it was time to branch out and ordered a set of fresh Indian spices from Kobe Spice and have been expanding my repertoire.

Started off with trusty basics like Aloo Mattar and Mattar Paneer and now can make some more adventurous dishes like Dahi Poori and Massala Dosa (making the chutneys and sambar can be a bit time consuming but worth the effort if you have the time). It's come in really handy now that Mrs Nouka is often out during the day selling vegetables and food and she always says it's like coming home to India when she returns.
Shizuman wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:17 am
Woodworking is a great hobby, can be pricey though, my wife gave me the ok to buy a table saw recently and I've been messing around building bee hives, would love to build an Alaskan mill and snaffle some cedar and go to town on it. Leather working sounds like fun, never thought of it. would be cool to partner with a hunter and make locally sourced leather goods!
Are you making western hives or Japanese hives ? We were recently given a Mitre Saw so would be nice to put it to use.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Shizuman wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:46 am

have you branched out to sourdough at all?
I think about it from time to time but i think a starter needs to be made in warmer weather. Will have to give it a whirl.
Dry yeast is just so convenient and reliable and there is no coming back from a sourdough woopsy.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

That is very true, i have killed more sour dough starters than id care to admit!