One Straw Revolution

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
jaman

One Straw Revolution

Post by jaman »

Has anyone read Fukuoka’s “One Straw Revolution”? It is a great and thought provoking book about working with the land and life in general, being lazy and letting nature do the work.

Have you experimented with putting some of his ideas into practice?

DocDoesFarming

One Straw Revolution

Post by DocDoesFarming »

jaman wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:09 pm
Have you experimented with putting some of his ideas into practice?
Only the being lazy part to be honest. :D
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

One Straw Revolution

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Same here, I'm actually quite good at being lazy but sadly it didn't work out when applied to farming. So many crops got overrun with weeds and we lost the lot.

When I first read Fukuoka’s “One Straw Revolution” I thought, "Fantastic a farming style that suits me" but sadly the reality was quite different. I don't mean to totally rule out his style but in our situation it just didn't work, maybe with a bit more learning and experience it could be made to work but currently we are more moving in the direction of Charles Dowding.

jaman

One Straw Revolution

Post by jaman »

@zasso I read from one of his students that Fukuoka maintained a traditional vegetable garden and used his method more for rice and orchards. Good to hear your real world experiences!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

One Straw Revolution

Post by Zasso Nouka »

For orchards it would totally work I think and once the trees are large enough weeds won't bother them at all. As for rice growing I have no experience in that area so can't comment but growing small leafy vegetables just doesn't work. Either they get swamped with weeds very quickly or the hordes of ravenous insects living in the weeds decide they'd rather eat your juicy pesticide free vegetables instead of tough old weeds.

In some ways being a conventional farmer is the lazy option, I see my neighbours spray their crops once with a long term pesticide and they never have to do it again. They also spray once with a weed killer between the rows of crops and then that's it until harvest time, where we have to constantly protect our crops and are continuously battling against weeds. So for us the organic path leads to a lot more work.

donguri

One Straw Revolution

Post by donguri »

I've read the book and found a lot of great wisdom in it, not only about growing food, but his overall philosophy. I attempted to use some of his ideas, but with almost no success. I think it may require more time than I was willing to wait and actually working alongside someone who was knowledgeable in his methods.

sunflowerhk

One Straw Revolution

Post by sunflowerhk »

So glad to have found this discussion. I am attracted to move to japan partly because of this farming philosophy. I have tried to practice this method in growing veggies. But I didnt have success. I think the success of such a method requires at least these preconditions:

1) an area big enough where there is a good ecosystem around (my problem was I was practicing natural farming only in my small plot while others around were all using chemicals and all types of interventions.)

2) Also it takes a long time, perhaps at least a couple of years, to slowly prepare the soil to be rich in microorganisms

3) intensive farming cannot be practised in these lands.. the land needs rest

Overall speaking it is very difficult to practise such a method in reality. And given the small land (under 800 m2, which includes a house) most families have in rural Japan (I am talking about the home gardens), it makes it very hard to use this method 😓