Incoming typhoons for 2021

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 pm
Tora wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:19 pm
FAKE typhoon!!!!
Sorry man, no surf for you :twisted:
Took a look at the full parking lot, saw there were more osakans than waves, talked to a couple friends, and said, “better off working today!”

Glad nobody got hit too hard but I think there were a lot of disappointed surfers.

On the plus side, I finished my bamboo trellis(?) made for my squash, melon, watermelon, goya, and Sasage beans.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:47 pm
On the plus side, I finished my bamboo trellis(?) made for my squash, melon, watermelon, goya, and Sasage beans.
Maybe just in time for the next typhoon to give it that ultimate of Darwinian tests :lol:

To be honest thought I'd quite happily go another year without any typhoons :pray:

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:45 am
Tora wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:47 pm
Maybe just in time for the next typhoon to give it that ultimate of Darwinian tests :lol:

To be honest thought I'd quite happily go another year without any typhoons :pray:

It seems like the last few years have seen a lot of typhoons bypass western Japan and land in Chiba or points further north. They sure caused a lot of damage too.

Please don’t laugh too hard in my presence if my trellis gets darwined!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

No man, I won't laugh. We've had so many things destroyed it has long ceased being funny. We try to take it in good humour but it's not easy watching one thing after another get trashed. Last year was a massive relief and if this year can possibly be similar I'd be pretty happy.

Having no electricity for a couple of weeks was fun at first, swapping everything around with the solar panels so the fridges stayed cold and we could pump enough water from the well for our neighbours and making sure the bath was full of water before sun down but having no internet during that time soon got old.

Tora

Post by Tora »

I sure felt for all the people in Chiba and surrounding areas when those typhoons hit you hard a couple years ago. Is it uncommon for you to get a direct hit from a typhoon? It was difficult to tell if all the damage there was from a bad hit or if typhoons were just uncommon for the area so there were a lot of vulnerabilities that are usually exposed and repaired/replaced when you get hit on a fairly regular basis as Shikoku seems to.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We usually expect a few typhoons most years, not as many as your area or Kyushu gets but they aren't exactly rare. Power sometimes goes out but it comes back pretty quickly, normally within a few hours. The difference with those two typhoons was the first one instead of passing over quite quickly it stalled during the night and stayed put for hours so increased the damage. Then the next one came soon after and compounded that, we don't normally get two so close together so the rain hadn't drained yet and the ground was waterlogged.

So many power cables got taken out they had to bring in repair guys from all over eastern Japan and Tohoku. We were really impressed with AU as after a week they sent out generator trucks that were manned 24/7 to selected cell towers and restored service so people could make calls and get back online before the other networks. Folk were really grateful and dropping by with little gifts of food and tea for them. It's little things like that in the middle of a disaster that make you appreciate the sense of community is still alive and well.

Tora

Post by Tora »

It’s not good when they just stop and dump rain. We had that happen when we were visiting friends in the mountains in Nara years ago. After a few days we were happy of an invite to a homemade gyoza dinner at her parents house even though it involved driving through an river running over the road. Watching the river next to his house get higher and higher and the debris go from twigs and leaves to lots of uprooted trees was another motivation. After dinner we got a phone call asking if we were still alive. A landslide had rerouted the river through his now former apartment. A number of people died in that area then. No evacuation orders til after it would’ve been too late for us. My wife can’t stand to see video clips of raging rivers now years later. Water is some serious stuff!

Moral of the story, Evacuation should not be taken lightly and should be based on common sense or an abundance of caution.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Crikey man, that was lucky you took the dinner invitation. Could have been a very different story if you hadn't.

Our area is now far more proactive with evacuation orders if there is the slightest chance things are going to go Pete Tong and they have space set up in the community centres and local schools for anyone that wants to evacuate for every typhoon now.

As a matter of interest how many folk have a Bosai radio in their house ? We got given a free one by the city council and we get to hear about all sorts of fires and missing Ojiichan and Obachan that have wandered off and can't be found.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:43 pm
As a matter of interest how many folk have a Bosai radio in their house ? We got given a free one by the city council and we get to hear about all sorts of fires and missing Ojiichan and Obachan that have wandered off and can't be found.
yeah and your Bosai radio discriminates against us poor Kansai drivers.
The first time I ever drove to Kanto, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to drive, until a friend told me ppl just give Kansai number cars a very wide berth lol.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:31 am
yeah and your Bosai radio discriminates against us poor Kansai drivers.
The first time I ever drove to Kanto, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to drive, until a friend told me ppl just give Kansai number cars a very wide berth lol.
It's totally true, we've heard several warnings on the Bosai radio that a Kansai number has been seen driving in the city so everyone should give them a wide berth in case the Kansai driver tries to scam them :lol: