TESLA/$TSLA

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
Otona Cream Pie

TESLA/$TSLA

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

I know we're in the land of kei trucks and white toyota sedans with no character but I'm balls deep in TSLA stock and currently have a CyberTruck on order. I spend far too much time keeping up with the bleeding edge news about the company, stock, products, etc. to not share. Without being too much of an obnoxious fanboy, if any of you guys/gals have any questions about why I think the company/stock/products are good investments, please feel free to pick my brain.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

TESLA/$TSLA

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Back in the day when I used to work on big mainframes a colleague suggested I invest in a small compay started by a couple of guys called Steve that made little itty-bitty desktop computers and I said to him these tiny computers will never take off and replace mainframes and who's gonna take a company seriously that's named after a fruit.

Oh boy, how wrong I was :doh:

Otona Cream Pie

TESLA/$TSLA

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:23 am
Back in the day when I used to work on big mainframes a colleague suggested I invest in a small compay started by a couple of guys called Steve that made little itty-bitty desktop computers and I said to him these tiny computers will never take off and replace mainframes and who's gonna take a company seriously that's named after a fruit.

Oh boy, how wrong I was :doh:
Funny how that works out, eh? I just keep seeing this company reinventing the wheel, people initially hate the change, some time passes, and eventually people come around to appreciating the improvements. Hard to hate a company that has a stance of "Every dollar spent on advertising is a dollar that would be better spent giving you a better product." (unless you are the media who makes most of your money from automotive manufacturer advertising :twisted: )

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

TESLA/$TSLA

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You've got to admire the changes Elon Musk has brought around, not just in the automotive industry but with SpaceX as well. Space exploration seemed to have really stagnated and yet in a really short time he has reduced costs and set the goal of putting people on mars.

Otona Cream Pie

TESLA/$TSLA

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:52 pm
You've got to admire the changes Elon Musk has brought around, not just in the automotive industry but with SpaceX as well. Space exploration seemed to have really stagnated and yet in a really short time he has reduced costs and set the goal of putting people on mars.
I'd invest in Space X too if I had the $$$ Those reusable rockets have reduced the costs for sooo many existing industries, they have no feasible competition for their other work like Starlink. The Boring Company is quietly pushing the idea of moving freight in container-sized tunnels. Imagine all the trucks that would be off the highways if that is realized. Tunnels under the ocean for freight would speed up delivery times and reduce cost? Shoot people across the oceans and....

edmundedgar

TESLA/$TSLA

Post by edmundedgar »

I'd stay away from the meme stocks, you're likely paying a premium for other people impressed by publicity stuff. If you got into Tesla early then congratulations (and maybe consider taking some profits), but people putting in money now aren't likely to do as well. Also with Elon I get the impression that he's more interested in doing great things than looking after his investors, which is cool on a human level and he does great things, but combined with his tendency to bullshit and his disrespect for securities laws that are there to protect investors should make you hesitate to volunteer to fund his great things.

Also if you're a Japanese taxpayer making enough to be investing in stocks you'll probably get better tax treatment investing in either Japanese-traded companies or Japanese funds. If you have regular income and you're staying until retirement, get an IDECO. This is quite restrictive - it has to be a fund not individual stocks, and I think there are restrictions on cashing out - but you get a tax break on what you put in. If you need the flexibility, get a NISA - that lets you put in a million-and-a-bit yen per year, with no tax on the gains, and you can use either a fund or individual stocks. If you buy individual Japanese stocks they send you presents as well as dividends, which is nice. Either stuff the money in an index fund (domestic or foreign or both) or just pick some stocks at random.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

TESLA/$TSLA

Post by Zasso Nouka »

edmundedgar wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:50 pm
Also with Elon I get the impression that he's more interested in doing great things than looking after his investors, which is cool on a human level and he does great things, but combined with his tendency to bullshit and his disrespect for securities laws that are there to protect investors should make you hesitate to volunteer to fund his great things.
That's pretty much how I feel about him, love the things he's doing but a bit wary of his cavalier attitude and tendency to shoot his mouth off. I get it if you are that rich paying a few fines after saying something on twitter isn't going to bother him.
edmundedgar wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:50 pm
Also if you're a Japanese taxpayer making enough to be investing in stocks you'll probably get better tax treatment investing in either Japanese-traded companies or Japanese funds. If you have regular income and you're staying until retirement, get an IDECO. This is quite restrictive - it has to be a fund not individual stocks, and I think there are restrictions on cashing out - but you get a tax break on what you put in. If you need the flexibility, get a NISA - that lets you put in a million-and-a-bit yen per year, with no tax on the gains, and you can use either a fund or individual stocks. If you buy individual Japanese stocks they send you presents as well as dividends, which is nice. Either stuff the money in an index fund (domestic or foreign or both) or just pick some stocks at random.
Are Japanese companies worth investing in ? The returns seem so much lower than putting it in American companies.

edmundedgar

TESLA/$TSLA

Post by edmundedgar »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:58 am
Are Japanese companies worth investing in ? The returns seem so much lower than putting it in American companies.
That used to be true but I don't think it is any more, increasingly everybody else's returns seem to be equally shitty.

VanillaEssence

TESLA/$TSLA

Post by VanillaEssence »

I think you can invest in foreign index funds from japan anyway right?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

TESLA/$TSLA

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Monex doesn't seem to mind where you put your funds