Cooling Vests

Shoot the breeze, chew the fat or whatever you fancy
Otona Cream Pie

Cooling Vests

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, hawking my wares on here.....if any of you "hard workin" people are interested in Cooling (and heated come winter) vests, feel free to hit me up. I design, manufacture, import this type of stuff (mostly aimed at motorcycle riders) but it's also really big with construction workers. (and even many F1 drivers use our stuff)

Unless you are on a motorcycle, bike, or have one of those fan vests, these PCM vests are just awesome:

It's like strapping a bunch of frozen ice packs to your body only the packs aren't ice, they are this 14℃ PCM stuff that keeps you cool without freezerburn. The packs last around 2-3 hours and you can refreeze them with anything colder than 14℃ (so in the fridge, cooler, or even a cold stream) I only use the back two packs so I tend to use the other 2 packs as spares so I can just swap out the packs after they lose their cool. Ice is a waste so I usually fill the cooler with frozen ocha/mugicha/etc and it gets the job done and you can drink them once they melt. The PCM is not cheap but it lasts up to 10 years and I often use it in a cooler when I go shopping so it's not like you're limited to the vest.

If you have a motorcycle, bike, or have one of those fan vests, an evap vest like these are ideal:

They basically soak up water and as they dry out (evaporation) they cool. (like when you sweat and feel a breeze) The special thing about the fabric in these is the evaporation is controlled so they don't dry out too quickly. Takes anywhere from 4-7 hours to dry out. The up side is they're cheap and you can resoak them practically anywhere. The problem in Japan is with the high humidity, you need some airflow for this to work in a meaningful way. Hence the people with a motorcycle, bike, or those fan vests will get the most out of these.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Cooling Vests

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Looks good, I use one of the fan jackets and that's a real lifesaver once summer gets really hot.

Otona Cream Pie

Cooling Vests

The fan vests are neat, I have one I bought for testing. Unfortunately, they really only cool after you start sweating. An evap vest underneath replaces the sweat but to be honest, depending on what you're doing and how long, having inflated vest on top of vest is a bit annoying.

Fan vest by itself

Fan vest with evap cooling underneath

I have extra fabric at the factory that I'm toying with adding some holes in so that I can use existing fans on it and the cooling material so that it's all one vest and the only thing getting inflated is the rear of the vest (not you)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Cooling Vests

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:17 pm
they really only cool after you start sweating.
Luckily I'm a olympic gold medal level sweater :oops: I can sweat buckets just sitting still in a chair. Probably something to do with the very generous amounts of personal insulation I'm blessed with :shock:

The fan vests are good but the ones with long sleeves and a hood actually provide better cooling outside.

You've probably already thought of this but just in case not have you thought of marketing the the gel vests to kitchen staff ? The fan vests and jackets just don't work in hot kitchens as they blow hot air over you, whenever I drop veg off in Mrs Nouka's cafe kitchen you can feel feel the temperature shoot up.

Otona Cream Pie

Cooling Vests

I sweat buckets too but not if the cooling starts before you start sweating.

For sure, I'm at that industry as well as all the insane mascot costume wearing people who become famous every year when they pass out with heat stroke....often in front of small children. :doh:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Cooling Vests

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:23 pm
For sure, I'm at that industry as well as all the insane mascot costume wearing people who become famous every year when they pass out with heat stroke....often in front of small children. :doh:
I have great respect for anyone who can get into one of those mascot costumes in the middle of summer and not instantly pass out.

Otona Cream Pie

Cooling Vests

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:20 am
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:23 pm
I have great respect for anyone who can get into one of those mascot costumes in the middle of summer and not instantly pass out.
Does it count as suicide if.... :shock:

Seriously though, we supply to the Disney characters. Still researching what's out there when it comes to the other mascots.

Otona Cream Pie

Cooling Vests

Was around 30℃ over the weekend....parked the truck in the shade, AC full blast, and let the doggos rest in there while I was busy weed whacking.

Can't tell you how much these vests help. I'm only using the CoolPax on the back, makes me feel strange cooling my stomach, so the spare 2 Pax stay in the cooler, ready to be swapped out all day long.

I have a larger sheet that I use for the pups but I think I need to finalize that design and start marketing it. Too many doggos die here due to the heat. :evil: I still have loads of material I need to use at the factory so about time I make use of it.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Cooling Vests

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 pm
I have a larger sheet that I use for the pups but I think I need to finalize that design and start marketing it. Too many doggos die here due to the heat. :evil: I still have loads of material I need to use at the factory so about time I make use of it.
What about shaving the little blighters ? Both me and Mrs Nouka go for shaved sides of the head in summer and it feels a lot better.

Otona Cream Pie

Cooling Vests

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:00 pm
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 pm
What about shaving the little blighters ? Both me and Mrs Nouka go for shaved sides of the head in summer and it feels a lot better.
Unfortunately shaving is a bad move for most dogs. They cool differently than we do (don't sweat) so while it doesn't help, it tends to make it worse for then as they sunburn super quick without a coat and with breeds like mine with double coats, the protective outer coat takes years to grow back out and it often comes back in all borked up. Better to keep em brushed, provide cool water, AC and when you're doing crazy stuff like me, the cool pax keep em cool.