What is your go to comfort food and

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: What is your go to comfort food and

Post by gonbechan »

At the moment all i am using is a braun hand held thingie with tons of attachments.
I need a new kitchen with more counterspace before I can get a proper one.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:05 am
At the moment all i am using is a braun hand held thingie with tons of attachments.
Mrs Nouka also has one of them in the cafe along with a Magimix and Kitchen Aid mixer. The Braun handheld is good for small batches of soups and pastes and the Magimix covers the mid range with the Kitchen Aid mixer used for larger batches of cakes and breads. Plus she has a vacuum sealer from Hoshizaki but that would be overkill for most home kitchens.
Zaimondos wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:40 am
I go to Costco here but it's comparatively expensive.
As you are in the food trade you could get an account with Metro, they are a German wholesaler so have German and Swiss cheeses rather than the bland varieties available in Costco, they also carry a lot of Italian meats along with some fine German beers. It's still worth being aware of general prices at Gyomu or Hanamasa but generally they are comparable.

On the whole I'm not a big fan of Costco, they are often more expensive than Gyomu Super or Hanamasa and to be honest I've often been disappointed with the quality of their produce. It's often mass produced, poor quality with little real flavour apart from heaps of sugar or artificial flavourings and comes in such huge quantities you have to seriously binge on it to eat everything before it goes off.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:33 am
Mrs Nouka also has one of them in the cafe along with a Magimix and Kitchen Aid mixer. The Braun handheld is good for small batches of soups and pastes and the Magimix covers the mid range with the Kitchen Aid mixer used for larger batches of cakes and breads.

As you are in the food trade you could get an account with Metro, they are a German wholesaler so have German and Swiss cheeses rather than the bland varieties available in Costco, they also carry a lot of Italian meats along with some fine German beers. It's still worth being aware of general prices at Gyomu or Hanamasa but generally they are comparable.
Thanks - I've had my eye on a kitchenaid or cuisineart, but a magimix might be too far out of my budget. I've got a kitchenaid stand mixer, which is great. I just looked at google but there is a food processor attachment for the kitchenaid stand mixer but don't know if it's any good.

I'll check out Metro, but really the cafe here is very quiet. I was helping out when I first arrived, before I got a job, and it was great for my Japanese and getting to know some of the local people. My mother-in-law is keen to wind it down as she's getting tired (fair enough!) She'd be happy for me to take it over and but I'm not really sure I want to make that commitment - it's not in a good location so would need a bit of work to draw new customers in. I might reconsider once the house is done.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:03 am
I'll check out Metro, but really the cafe here is very quiet.
We only really use Metro for house stuff ourselves as it's too far for regular shopping but it's nice to have membership for when you fancy some Prosciutto or a block of Emmental or maybe some Gruyère or something else hard to buy elsewhere.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Roast dinners, I miss a proper roast dinner.

Also the potato god has smiled down upon us recently and given us the bounty of a shit load of spuds.
Shame I don't have an oven to make roast spuds though...
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

oh the holy grail of comfort food, even for people who didn't grow up eating them.
When family comes around (from my side or Senor Gonbe) and I make roast potatoes, I usually do a few KG of them. They get sucked up like breathing.

I like to par boil the potatoes (easy in the instapot where you just steam them) give them a little rough treatment to smooshy the outsides a little for more crunch.
Sadly no duck fat available in Japan so its roll them around in olive oil and then grind some coarse salt over them and bake till irresistibly crunchy on the outside but smooth and sweet on the inside.
@DocDoesFarming you NEED an oven.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:22 am
Shame I don't have an oven to make roast spuds though...
Get a Dutch Oven and you can make pretty good roast tatties on an open fire outdoors. We used to make them every now and then when the house was being built and the builders loved them.

Here is Mrs Nouka making roast chicken in tomato sauce.

The chicken was roasted in the Dutch oven then tomato sauce poured on top and simmered. To roast things properly over an open fire without burning the bottom of them get the little wire insert rack/tray that keeps your ingredients off the bottom.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

gonbechan wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:04 pm
grind some coarse salt over them and bake till irresistibly crunchy on the outside but smooth and sweet on the inside.
I've never tried salting them on the outside before. That is something I'll have to try and do if I ever get an oven in the 母屋.
I love a good roast spud, I miss them so much :sad-pacing:
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:14 pm
Get a Dutch Oven and you can make pretty good roast tatties on an open fire outdoors. We used to make them every now and then when the house was being built and the builders loved them
That does look fun. Proper camp side cooking that.
Closest I ever got to doing something like that was boiling ration packs in my mess tin.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:19 pm
That does look fun. Proper camp side cooking that.
Closest I ever got to doing something like that was boiling ration packs in my mess tin.
It's great fun :lol: . Sadly we don't often cook outside now, just a few times a year but Dutch Ovens do work quite well inside or on top of maki stoves, Ainsley Harriot's recipe for slow roast spare ribs are to die for.