Question on Hato Mugi

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
MikeU

Question on Hato Mugi

Post by MikeU »

Is there anyone out there who might know about hato mugi? Also known as Jobs tears and by several other names, it looked neat, and somewhat different from the stuff I usually buy; exciting to try something new but... I bought a pack of this grain, all browns and purples and healthy-looking colours. It turns out that the coloured hull is too hard to eat so I gather it must be shelled but each grain is just too small to bother. I have read that there are basically 2 types of hato mugi, one is the soft, edible version and quite healthy and the other is the hard type used for decorative purposes. I am not 100% sure which one I have. Any ideas? Could I roast it in the casing and brew as a tea, maybe like a mugicha?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Question on Hato Mugi

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Apparently you can make necklaces and pendants out of the coloured one, have you considered taking up a new hobby ?

I'm sorry, that's probably not what you were looking for :oops:. I'll ask Mrs N, she might know.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Question on Hato Mugi

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Mrs N say you should still be able to roast the mugi and grind it up to make tea but it may taste different to the softer one. Who knows you may like the different flavour and it's not likely that it could be poisonous is it :shifty: