Post your Secret Sources

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post your Secret Sources

Post by gonbechan »

Some of us do not grow our own chickens, most of us do not grow our own steaks or chops either.
We all know that things like these are either hard to find or rather spendy, so we do without, or splurge on the occasional Costco chicken.

If you do not mind shopping in Portugese or Spanish or using chrome translate, then you are in a for a treat.

Tele-Amigos It does have other language option, but.....
Great source for cheap beef, pork and chicken as well as South American (mainly Brazil and Peru) and the Philippines foods.
Great for choriso and salcitas (sausages of a Latin persuasion)
Sells dried beans, which for me is a big YAY. You can find black beans, kidney beans and other beans.
Good source for deodorant for men and women.

KingMart Has about the same as Tele-Amigos. We tend to shop at whichever is giving the best deal on delivery or whole chickens.
For both Tele-Amigos and KingMart you can either pay with CC or pay chakubarai to Takyubin when they deliver.

For things Korean, Kankoku-Ichiba
They are especially good for ribs but have a bunch of other very affordable stuff.
They have a bunch of amazing Korean Recipes sorted by main ingredient.
Site is in Japanese.

For serious meat and sausages, of course there is The Meat Guy
We sometimes get the set of ribeye steaks when they're on special but for the most part they are too spendy for us.
Ordering is not straight forward either and do not expect a fast delivery. For them to actually accept your order takes them a while.
He is a great source for hard to get proper sausages if you just absolutely have to have them.

paradoxbox

Re: Post your Secret Sources

Post by paradoxbox »

Nice list you have! Imported sausages are always so expensive :(

Not much of a secret, but if you live in or around Tokyo "Niku no Hanamasa" is unbelievably good. They have all kinds of meat from all around the world at very, VERY good prices.

They also carry cheese and spices at prices way below normal JP supermarket prices.

If you're into soap making they also sell olive pomace oil for something like 1200yen per 2 litres, pretty good price.

I make it a point to stop into Hanamasa whenever I'm near one. It's definitely my favorite grocery store.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thanks for the links Gonbechan,
paradoxbox wrote: but if you live in or around Tokyo "Niku no Hanamasa" is unbelievably good.
They have some really good stuff, last week they had a freezer packed full of sheep halves for anyone seriously into their mutton. I'm waiting for them to get pig halves and then we'll make lots of sausages and bacon. Between Hanamasa and Gyomu Super that pretty much takes care of your imported needs.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

paradoxbox wrote:Nice list you have! Imported sausages are always so expensive :(
Sadly no Hanamasa here.
But for sausages we make do with either the salchicha from either Tele-Amigos or KingMart or the Garlic Sausages from HiloMarket (used to be YoYoMarket) We prefer our sausages to have meat and spice and pretty much nothing else.

It would be amazing to make one's own sausages and smoke them. (not like light up and puff puff.. lol)
The meat guy does sell sausage casings for those of you who might get adventurous.
But I am sure that with some searching one could find a cheaper source.

When our inaka move has hit the final stage, we would very much like to start making sausages and bacon etc.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Home made sausages really are the best and they freeze really well