Breadmaker and whole wheat flour

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
grisfao

Breadmaker and whole wheat flour

Post by grisfao »

Hi all, I'm curious to hear your recommendations on breadmakers (ahem, ho-mu be-kari-) and whole wheat flour.

My goal is to get to lower GI foods, so making my own bread seemed like a great place to start. Storebought bread has loads of added sugar and salt, in addition to being low quality overall. I don't mind yeast or gluten though I might want to experiment with free versions in the future.

The base model Twinbird seems like a community favorite. https://kakaku.com/kaden/breadmaker/ite ... pdf_ma=387
Any voices for or against?

And whole wheat flour. I see gonbechan's recommendation for Profoods Japan (thanks!), but how about for variety of flour? Are any better than the others?

And has anyone calculated cost per loaf for these? All of the Japanese language cost performance sites I could find are for white flour.

Thanks for any input!

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: Breadmaker and whole wheat flour

Post by gonbechan »

Personally I have 2 breadmakers. I only use one of them and then again only for kneading and the first rise. I then take the dough out and knock it down and prepare it to bake in the oven.
Its a really old National that makes a bigger amount than most other home bakeries.
The other one we have I bought because it said you could cook baguettes in it. It lied.

Personally, if I had the counter space, I would just go for a huge kitchen aid that had a dough hook. (my personal dream for my perfect house)
Flour., I think we have people way more qualified than me to comment.
I love the wholewheat from Profoods. I add ground kurumi to my bread as well. It makes for a really lovely flavour and the bread is great toasted later too.

Cost per loaf is not feasable. The minute you smell that freshly baked bread it gets eaten way faster than a bag of 6 slice bread from the supermarket.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I can't offer you any advice about that particular breadmaker but I can share what Mrs Nouka does with her bread making. We bought a breadmaker (a Twinbird) as Mrs Nouka was getting sore arms from kneading dough but she eventually stopped using it as although it did a passable job she wasn't totally happy with it. It isn't a bad option and if you just want to drop the ingredients in and come back to a ready made loaf it works fine. Now Mrs Nouka uses her Kitchen Aid and dough hook to do a lot of the hard work for her then bakes it in the oven.

Flour we get from a local farmer that grows his own wheat and then has that milled so I'm sorry but that isn't much help either.

Perhaps store bought bread is cheaper, specially when it's reduced at the end of the day but homemade bread is way nicer.

grisfao

Post by grisfao »

Wheat from a local farmer? You're living it up there! I'll start looking around my neighborhood to see what I can find.

What would be the smallest oven that could bake a loaf of bread? It's probably not in my future but I'll be interested to know.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We're lucky to know a rice farmer who's winter hobby is to grow wheat :lol:, his wife also enjoys baking bread so they get all sorts of flour milled from their wheat and we are lucky enough to buy from them.

Mrs Nouka uses a large gas oven in her cafe to bake her Farmhouse Loaves, it's too large to fit in a house so can't really help you with a suggestion there but I bet @gonbechan has something to say on that subject ;)

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

I was a baker in a past life
i have one of the small electric ovens here (a panasonic 30L job it has a proofing function, super useful in winter) and using an enamel or pyrex cassarole dish you can whip up a pretty decent loaf of bread in that. If you can get spelt flour that would be something worth trying, its supposed to be really quite healthy.

Cant help with bread machines sorry.

Im thinking of starting to sell bread at markets so if i do a costing ill post some info

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

The smallest oven for baking bread is a dutch oven on a fire outdoors .. you might want to laugh but it makes pretty good bread.

Otherwise any 'oven-range' (japanese oven microwave combo) bakes decent enough bread.
Just be sure to get over 30L size and one that takes 2 shelves so you can cook roast potatoes when you make your roast pork/chicken wotever.

grisfao

Post by grisfao »

I have a fire pit / kamado like this one
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/encho/4982886001219/

I assume I can put a dutch oven on it? Can you recommend a dutch oven?

So for a 30L oven, that would be a Healsio or something similar. I don't have so much use for that so I think I'd rather go with a dedicated breadmaker.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

We have this one Lodge Dutch Oven which works remarkably well and the lid doubles as a pan if you need it.
But to be honest, it is a PITA to season every time around and is not good for anything acidic as it brings out the metallic taste. So saving up for this Le Creuset which will probably last several lifetimes and be hugely more versatile than the plain iron one.

As for an oven, if you are not concerned about using steam function and want to save money, try finding an older model without steam that just has oven/microwave function and comes with 2 shelves for the oven.

We have one of those stupid fandangled ones with the rounded inside because it claims to go up to 350C for making Pizza, but this is debatable. It only reaches that temp for a very short time and then drops down to 250C max. It also has a steam function that we never ever use.

So your main aim is 30L plus in size, 2 tier oven trays and affordable.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

When ordering a Dutch Oven make sure to get the stainless steel mesh/rack to go in the bottom so that when roasting or baking it doesn't burn the bottom of whatever you are cooking. Also if you get one with handles similar to this one Captain Stag Dutch Oven it can be a bit easier to pick up when hot plus if you ever go camping you can suspend it over a campfire with a tripod.