Home made soft drinks with water kefir

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
gaijinfarmer

Re: Home made soft drinks with water kefir

Post by gaijinfarmer » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:32 am

So I ordered some kefir grains from the place on Rakuten, and they arrived yesterday. I located some milk that is pasteurized locally. It's high-temp pasteurized (probably not ESL level), but the local Italian guy uses it to make cheese and says it's the only milk that works, so I'll give it a try. The only problem is that it won't be ready until Monday. Should i put the new grains in the milk that isn't so great for one round, or leave them in the fridge in the shipment packaging?

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:37 am

Put em in the fridge til Monday, that will stop them from over-fermenting.

I found out if you leave them to ferment at room temp too long the acidity or alcohol levels really hurt the grains. It took me a few weeks to nurse the grains back to health.

If the guy is making mozzarella or hard cheeses with that milk, it should be totally fine for kefir :)
If it is just cottage cheese he is making, you can try it but I would only put half my grains in it to see how it will turn out.

gaijinfarmer

Post by gaijinfarmer » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:21 pm

he's making ricotta. He said he tried all the store milk and couldn't get anything to work... I've also tried all the store milk for my kefir and it's hurting the grains. So this is my best shot but also my last chance--I think I'll just put them all in there when I get it so I dont' have to refrigerate too long or freeze.

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:29 pm

Do you have a コープ supermarket in your area? They definitely sell low temperature pasteurization milk. Even if it's not on their shelf, if you ask they will stock it for you.

You can ask around to your local supermarkets for teion sakkin gyuunyuu / 低音殺菌牛乳.

If they don't have it, they will probably order it since the same companies that make UHT milk also make non UHT milk.

It is a bit more expensive at around 250 to 320yen per litre. I buy mine via coop delivery, around 4L per week, more if I'm on a cheese making binge.

Make sure to tell the Italian guy once you've got a supply of good milk!

UHT milk, as you've mentioned, seems to starve kefir grains.

paradoxbox

Post by paradoxbox » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:58 am

Just realized I used the wrong kanji, woops - that should be 低温殺菌 not 低音, sorry!

gaijinfarmer

Post by gaijinfarmer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:49 pm

More milk questions--please see new thread! :D