latest 'my boom' from gyoumu super.

A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Recently Gyoumu has started selling black garlic at a really reasonable price.
They are those mini garlics without cloves but they still pack a punch in flavour.

I use it for making slow roast pork. I take 3 or 4 of the garlics, peel them and then blend them (wand blender) with olive oil, a couple of cloves of real garlic, and fresh ground black pepper. I then take a shoulder of pork (from A-Price, very reasonable pricing) pat it dry and make a nice base in the roasting pan with a cross of aluminium foil (long enough each way to wrap and seal the pork in well) place the pork on the foil, poke a ton of hole in it with s skinny sharp knife and then massage it with the olive oil/black garlic mix. Then freshly ground sea salt .. not as much as you would usually use because the black garlic is an umami bomb... seal it all up in the foil and then wrap one more time for luck.

preheat oven to 170 and then cook the pork for 3 hours completely wrapped. After three hours... open up the foil and let ALL THE JUICES run into the baking pan. roughly chop 1 large or 2 medium onions, 2 carrots and throw in some mushrooms of choice. place the pork on top of that and cook for another 30~40 minutes at 180C. If you like you can take a bit of the juices and put them into a smaller oven proof dish, add brussel sprouts and roll them around until well coated and bake them along with the meat and veg.

If you want to slice the pork, rest it for a good 15 minutes, otherwise you can shred it with a fork for pulled pork.

Leftovers are amazing for carnitas, sliced onto ramen instead of cha-shyuu .. or in wraps or breadrolls.
Gonbe tip.. save the leftover juices in a mug. refrigerate overnight and the next morning, remove the fat with a spoon. the remaining jelly is amazing reheated onto your carnitas etc.

Next best way to use the black garlic is to finish any steak you are cooking with black garlic and butter.. (just mash the garlic into the butter with a fork before using) baste the steak (or whatever) for the final few minutes with this.

Tora

Post by Tora »

gonbechan wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:31 am
....I use it for making slow roast pork....
Mr. Senor Gonbe is a very lucky man!

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Haha, luckily he knows it. Whenever I cook something special .. he beams and says 'It's my Birthday!!'
he has a lot of birthdays. :lol:

Tora

Post by Tora »

gonbechan wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:27 pm
Haha, luckily he knows it. Whenever I cook something special .. he beams and says 'It's my Birthday!!'
he has a lot of birthdays. :lol:
I might have to use that line whenever something particularly tasty comes out. Then again, I usually end up cooking cake and dinner for everyone on my B-day so that plan might actually backfire....

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Señor Gonbe is actually a very competent cook but his tastes tend toward fried things like milanesa (Argentinian beef katsu thingie) and of course empanadas and gnocchis (which he makes from scratch). All of these things, of course leave maximum devastation in the kitchen, and create more work for me than if I actually cooked myself.
I have found though that if I ask him to cook any of the above when we have family over, he does the cleanup himself lol. But without witnesses, the deluge is usually left to me to sort out. :lol: