Interesting Properties in Japan

A place for properties in the countryside
Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

edmundedgar wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:01 pm
Obviously depends where in Tokyo you need to get to but that area looks like a PITA for driving. It's right in the middle between the two radial expressways, and that area is endless surburbia that's quite painful to get across. If you also want to get out to Niigata you might want to think about the area I used to live on the Tobu Tojo Line (Wako-shi/Asaka/Shiki/Niiza). You can get onto and off the Kan-etsu Jidosha-dou at Tokorozawa, which avoids the traffic jams of people trying to get into Tokyo proper.
My office is in Nakano but nowhere near the JR station so driving in is actually cheaper/faster than the train. I live in the general Kawaguchi/Koshigaya area now but closer to the gaikan. The gaikan is fine but as you point out, trudging through endless suburbia to the onramp or even just to Nakano on the shitamichi is not a very fun experience.
edmundedgar wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:01 pm
On the value of the place I don't think adding an owner to the history will make much difference but you've got all the fees of buying and selling. There's also the depreciation of the house getting older - IIUC you typically knock the value of the house down to zero over 20 years - so you've got that bleeding out during the time you're living in it and also during the time after you stopped living in it while you're faffing around trying to sell it. If it's oldish, I expect any renovation you'd do would add basically zero to the resale value. I'd be very surprised if you could buy, renovate even a little bit and sell and come out better off than 250万 less than you started with, pulling a number out of my arse I'd guess it would be more like 400万.
So 400万 over 3 years would be more than I pay now...so the only way this makes financial sense is if I can further lower monthly costs and it can be rented out after the 3 years. I forgot to mention there is also that gov subsidy that pays you back a % of the loan up to 200万 so long as the house qualifies (less than 20yo) but need to calculate how much of that amount would be realized in 3 years.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

this is not that new but it might give you a less than vague idea of the costs involved and the tax breaks that you can get.

property buying costs and taxes.

Otona Cream Pie

gonbechan wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:44 am
this is not that new but it might give you a less than vague idea of the costs involved and the tax breaks that you can get.

property buying costs and taxes.
Thanks, I have a pretty good handle on these, my main concern is depreciation. (not on paper but in resale value)

Otona Cream Pie

I found a pretty rad house on the cheap with a nice yard, solar, and it's got all kinds of unusual seller discounts.....but then I went through it and their idea of "reform" is new wallpaper (it does look good, whoever chose the paper has sense) but then they decided to cover every trim piece, door, frame, etc. with this matching super thin dark wood veneer....and I hesitate to even call it a veneer as it's more like a high end masking tape with realistic woodgrain. It looked good enough to fool me until I saw the frame around one door on the side of the home that got a bit of sun....bubbles :shifty: then I realized the whole place was covered with the stuff. Even the kitchen door, I found some edges and seams that were slightly raised. The closet doors were covered...definitely will rub off where they slide. I can't imagine it lasts even a few months? Is this a pretty common coverup tactic? It just seems like a really messed up way to sell to someone as if it's all been replaced...and may end up creating a big, sticky, mess when it bubbles, peels, and rubs off. I don't think the agent is the one who did it, he seems super legit and provided a full house inspection report with pics....but it also makes me wonder what else they did and what else was hidden, rather than replaced. (likely cosmetic but still...)

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

IMHO stay away from old houses that have been 'reformed'
It is usually done on the cheap and to cover up some bad doodoo like mold and rotting stuffs.
There must be a reason they covered the wood as a coat of oil stain usually does a stellar, cheaper and quicker job on wood.

Otona Cream Pie

gonbechan wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:18 am
IMHO stay away from old houses that have been 'reformed'
It is usually done on the cheap and to cover up some bad doodoo like mold and rotting stuffs.
There must be a reason they covered the wood as a coat of oil stain usually does a stellar, cheaper and quicker job on wood.
This is an 8yo house and I got shots in the attic area and under the floors, everything looks dry and water stain free....my guess is it was just a really shitty, cheap way to cover up a shitty color scheme but it is all over everything in nearly every room which looks like a massive headache....I suppose I'll ask why it was used and poke them with "Please list everything that was done in the remodel."