Hello and reality check

Please introduce yourself
wageslave

Hello and reality check

Post by wageslave »

Hello all

I have to admit I joined here to leech expertise from others without being able to contribute anything myself. The most I've done is some backyard gardening in the past. I've lived in Japan previously and would like to go back, but this time in partial inaka with a small plot of land. In fact I already have an almost perfect spot picked out near Kyoto but of course plans change. Goal is to be able to mostly sustain myself from the land and avoid having to wageslave as I currently do (hence my username) and survive any future supply chain breakdowns which I feel will occur in the next 10-20 years.

I already lurked a bit and saw that helping out on existing farms is a good idea, not sure how easy it is to do in in Tokyo though. That's where most suitable jobs are, with some more in Fukuoka.

Visa wise it should be pretty simple because I can come in on HSP and have enough points to qualify for PR after 1 year, although from what I understand immigration doesn't like to grant it right away so more likely 2 years.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello and reality check

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to the forum Wageslave and thank you for taking the time to sign up, we really do appreciate that.

Sounds like an interesting plan you have there, looks like you've given it a lot of thought. If you want to try working on an organic farm you could look into WWOOF Japan for working holiday type experiences before you actually move over here. That would give you experience farming in Japanese conditions so you can hit the ground running when you do get into the place you have in mind.

Best of luck and look forward to seeing how you get on.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Hello and reality check

Post by gonbechan »

Hello and welcome wageslave.

I second @Zasso Nouka WWOOF suggestion. It would also give you a great way to learn about the community in areas you are interested in as well as give you farming experience.

You sound pretty level headed so I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Washoi

Hello and reality check

Post by Washoi »

wageslave wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:16 pm
Visa wise it should be pretty simple because I can come in on HSP and have enough points to qualify for PR after 1 year, although from what I understand immigration doesn't like to grant it right away so more likely 2 years.
Hello Wageslave, welcome to the forum. I would be wary about this particular point. PR is not granted so much as a "I earned this so I got it" they very much look into what you can "provide" to the country and local community, as an example. I have a friend who's 46, has lived in country for 13 years and works at the local city hall as a translator. Unfortunately, he isn't lucky with the ladies, owns no land and hasn't done anything of merit with his previous employment before he got the job at the city hall. He's been denied PR 3 times.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just want to keep it a little real. Good luck and looking forward to hearing your stories!