Joseph in Yamanashi

Please introduce yourself
yzlian

Joseph in Yamanashi

Post by yzlian »

hello everyone, am a teacher in yamanashi, been here 3,4 years now. living in rural/small town environ. interested in all aspects of japan esp small-time farming. cheers! joseph

Eric in Japan

Re: Joseph in Yamanashi

Post by Eric in Japan »

Hello Joseph!
Welcome to JSL! How does your garden grow?
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to JSL Joseph and thank you for taking the time to sign up, we really do appreciate that.

Have you got anything growing now ?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

So nice to have you here Joseph.
Looking forward to hearing more about your rural life.

yzlian

Joseph in Yamanashi

Post by yzlian »

hi friends, sorry for not writing for a while, as school started again in september and i got busy. am embarrassed to say that i really don't have a garden and am not growing anything. but i have been reading - with great language difficulty - this bestseller "農で1200万円! ――「日本一小さい農家」が明かす「脱サラ農業」はじめの一歩"

and got fascinated with the idea of farming in japan. its not going to be easy, esp for a foreigner not knowing the language well. but i have been talking to some local farmers, and some friends in asia have asked me about the possibility of exporting japanese farm produce directly to end-users (one exporting company in tokyo is exactly doing that!). wonder if some of you have explored the possibility of small scale farming - perhaps on leased abandoned farmland.

cheers! joseph

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Joseph in Yamanashi

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You can probably rent the land without too many legal issues but if you aren't a registered farmer then technically it's illegal to sell produce grown on farmland, how that applies to produce sold abroad I have no idea.

As for exporting something to consider is many countries can be a bit funny about soil being on any produce because of the risk of disease transmission. So long as you clean everything thoroughly or stick to leafy veg should be no problem.