Hello from Northern Osaka

Please introduce yourself
Englishswallow

Hello from Northern Osaka

Post by Englishswallow »

I’m living on the inaka’s edge in Northern Kansai. I’ve been in Japan about 12 years in both Osaka and Tokyo plus have lived in S E Asia. I’m self employed and can work wherever I want within reason, though travel overseas quite often.

I come from rural England so living in a big city just doesn’t appeal. I go back there at least 1-2 times a year. I must admit, even to myself, that I’m missing UK more and more, even though I know Japan is one of the best places to live in the region.

My dream would be to relocate to Hokkaido which I’ve visited innumerable times. Kids schools and an unconvinced wife are issues.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Hello from Northern Osaka

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to Japan Simple Life EnglishSwallow and thank you so much for signing up, we really do appreciate the effort.

I'm from the UK as well but from central London (a true cockney but not all "Cor blimey guv'nor, strike a light it's all gone Pete Tong", you wouldn't know if you heard me speak, I try to cover it well). Haven't been back since arriving here as our flock of chickens needs daily care but will have to make the trip sometime and do miss the variety of food available in the east end.

What draws you to Hokkaido ? Apart from the pleasant summers and superb winter sports :D

Englishswallow

Post by Englishswallow »

Well I've yet to meet a cockney in Japan...

...as you say things have definitely changed a lot over there, the redevelopment of Stratford and of course Docklands. When I was in London 2 weeks ago it was really buzzing and there seemed to be even more people out and about than usual. In a way it reminded me of China where there are folk everywhere.

I'm into snowboarding which is a big factor in loving Hokkaido. I love its scenery and natural beauty, largely unspoilt unlike down here. It's far more peaceful and less populated than Kansai with a slower pace of life, like East Anglia where I'm from. Then of course the food. I know someone in Niseko who took the official 'fish n chip' cooking programme...made with local fare of course...

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Hokkaido for me has tons of appeal, the weather because I prefer winter and the dry Hokkaido summers sound really appealing.
The vastness of it all. The fact that it has horses.

But what puts me off because yes we could also probably live anywhere, is the frequency of earthquakes.
The most recent one with those freaky landslides was particularly scary.

ETA, sorry oops, welcome to JSL. Where the * are my manners.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Englishswallow wrote:Well I've yet to meet a cockney in Japan...

...as you say things have definitely changed a lot over there, the redevelopment of Stratford and of course Docklands. When I was in London 2 weeks ago it was really buzzing and there seemed to be even more people out and about than usual. In a way it reminded me of China where there are folk everywhere.
I've heard that the Olympics changed everything over there and it sounds like it has improved a great deal. I don't like to denigrate anything really but Stratford was not a pleasant place to hang out in. Words like blighted and run down spring to mind when thinking how it was then.
Englishswallow wrote: I'm into snowboarding which is a big factor in loving Hokkaido. I love its scenery and natural beauty, largely unspoilt unlike down here. It's far more peaceful and less populated than Kansai with a slower pace of life, like East Anglia where I'm from. Then of course the food. I know someone in Niseko who took the official 'fish n chip' cooking programme...made with local fare of course...
Sounds very appealing indeed, I've haven't visited there yet but sounds awesome and I could absolutely murder some good fish & chips. So now all you have to do is encourage your family to make the move :lol:

korekaranoka

Post by korekaranoka »

Hello Englishswallow! I'm originally from the UK, too, albeit from further north, in Scotland. I am farming in Nagano and, as you show an interest in Hokkaido, I would recommend it to you, too: you get all the weather advantages of Hokkaido (cool evenings on even the hottest days in summer) plus a lot of extras (virtually no earthquakes, longer winter days and shorter summer days, i.e. a better all-round average for growing vegetables). And, if you chose somewhere like Saku where I live, you don't even have that much snow to have to contend with.

All the best, either way.