Hello, another from Ibaraki

Please introduce yourself
Ibaraki llama

Re: Hello, another from Ibaraki

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Actually, we've found about 7man in cash in the house so far.

Thanks for the tip on the butsudan - we were wondering what to do with that. My wife thought we might have to pay to dispose of that. She wants to get it blessed at the local shrine first.

I've found a lot of stuff can be sold. We've found a buyer for the tractor, and we're going to get about 1man for each car. A metal scrapper wants to take away the large rice dryer for free, though it makes we wonder if we could get a bit of money for it.
Last edited by Ibaraki llama on Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

gonbechan wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:56 am

We found an ocha tin up the in the ceiling of our house with about 5man worth of 1,000 yen notes and some 500 yen coins.
As for the butsudan, there is a pretty good market for 2nd hand ones, so don't throw it away.
By the way, have you got any video or photos of your place I could see?

I didn't know about the snakes in the bamboo, though it makes sense. Glad they're not Australian snakes!

LeeB

Post by LeeB »

So Gonbe is also lucky at finding money in a house!!

How's the metal detecting going? Done any yet or is it too early in Spring?

Zaimondos:

Fantastic youtube videos of the property and all the 'neat stuff' in the house. That is going to take a lot of work to go through and clean up. Bet you can sell a bunch of that stuff.

A scrap metal dealer will either take that metal away 'free' or pay you for it.

If I were 30 years younger I would be looking to do the same if I lived in Japan.

Can you tell us how much 'other costs' were in addition to the purchase price? Were there any back taxes due or was that included in the purchase price?

I am always amazed when I see one of these types of properties in Japan. No doubt that if it were in the USA or even here in Oz that the entire place would have been trashed and destroyed and filled with drug paraphernalia.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

LeeB wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Can you tell us how much 'other costs' were in addition to the purchase price? Were there any back taxes due or was that included in the purchase price?
There were no back taxes due, but this time the minimum bid price was set at 290man to recoup at least some of it. They had been trying to sell the place for about 2 years, but had set the minimum too high. This was about the 3rd or 4th auction they'd tried. Last September they set a 540man starting price, which was a bit rich for us, and, as expected, no one bid (I actually wanted to but my common-sense wife pulled the handbrake on me).

The only other taxes were regular property acquisition taxes of about 25man, and I think we've got something or other coming up in the next few months related to the new property.

Also, this property doesn't have an official border (as it was subdivided and sold off previously). We've decided to get one done, and the process is underway - that's going to cost us about 30man (though a bit cheaper than we'd researched before bidding).

We were lucky in that electricity and water were all working.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Man your house looks even better in the videos, for a house that has been abandoned for 5 years it looks in pretty good shape. What an amazing deal you got there. I've subscribed to your Youtube channel and look forward to seeing how you get on.

The 'Rice thing' you weren't sure of is most likely a rice miller, the tube leading out of the building will transport the rice husks (momigara) away from the miller. If might also be a combined drier/miller machine. You could probably set up a bicycle hire with the number of old bikes there :lol:, wonder what the old wagon wheels were for :think:. All those black trays outside the back of the house are for planting rice seed in, they can be pretty useful, well I use a lot of them for holding module trays for seedlings.

Zaimondos wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:50 am
Thanks! I bought a clearing saw and chainsaw to clear the land myself. Had some help from friends too.
Chainsaws are always fun :lol:
Zaimondos wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:50 am
We’re deciding how to do the house. We’re getting quotes from some renovation companies but the big ones seem very expensive. We’ve also found the original builder (in his 70s, still building!) He’s been very helpful - he’s willing to help us remove some walls and raise the height of some beams. Most likely scenario is we try to do as much as we can ourselves, contracting for the things we can’t do.
I think you are making the right decision to steer clear of the bigger companies, they charge ridiculous prices and you can often negotiate a much better deal contracting a carpenter here or plumber there to do the things you don't want to tackle. The original builder should be able to put you in contact with the necessary people if you don't already have someone lined up to do the work.

Might I suggest a solar water heater, something along the lines of an MMC Solar water heater. It will pay for itself very quickly and save you a small fortune in gas each month.

I hope you don't mind but I added the Youtube video directly into your post rather than having it as a link.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zaimondos wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:27 am

By the way, have you got any video or photos of your place I could see?

I didn't know about the snakes in the bamboo, though it makes sense. Glad they're not Australian snakes!
Our house was a little different situation than yours. Not much garden to speak of.
Its our 'interum house' until we find our dream home in the country.
this is the thread about it
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25

We found the money in the roof end of last year when we were having our typhoon damage repaired... so you could say it was a windfall muwahaha.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:51 pm
The 'Rice thing' you weren't sure of is most likely a rice miller, the tube leading out of the building will transport the rice husks (momigara) away from the miller. If might also be a combined drier/miller machine. You could probably set up a bicycle hire with the number of old bikes there :lol:, wonder what the old wagon wheels were for :think:. All those black trays outside the back of the house are for planting rice seed in, they can be pretty useful, well I use a lot of them for holding module trays for seedlings.
Thanks, that's a great idea for use of the seed trays. I'll do that. I was told JA collects them once a year if I wanted to dispose of them. Those wagon wheels will make a nice decoration for the house once cleaned up. You think I've got lots of bikes - you should see how many umbrellas and TVs there are! The farmer must have taken up a bit of TV disposal business - I can't imagine why he would have so many (12+).

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Might I suggest a solar water heater, something along the lines of an MMC Solar water heater. It will pay for itself very quickly and save you a small fortune in gas each month.

I hope you don't mind but I added the Youtube video directly into your post rather than having it as a link.
I've noticed a lot of those solar heaters - we had one in a dilapidated state. I'll look into getting a new one.

Thanks for doing the youtube for me. I didn't know how to post it directly.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

gonbechan wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:41 pm
Our house was a little different situation than yours. Not much garden to speak of.
Its our 'interum house' until we find our dream home in the country.
this is the thread about it
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25
Thanks - how was the shikkui? My wife is keen to do that - we've heard it's a much easier process now compared with yesteryear.
gonbechan wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:41 pm

We found the money in the roof end of last year when we were having our typhoon damage repaired... so you could say it was a windfall muwahaha.
Very good!

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

To be honest, if we did it again, we would use the trowel on one.
In your case it would be good as you have a traditional Japanese house with lots of beams to break up the surfaces.
Trowelling it on will also fill in the little gaps that form between plaster and beam over the years.

I think your place would look absolutely awesome with white or off-white plaster.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Zaimondos wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:05 pm
you should see how many umbrellas and TVs there are! The farmer must have taken up a bit of TV disposal business - I can't imagine why he would have so many (12+).
Well you cannever have too many umbrellas, I'm always loosing mine :oops:. Tv's though, not so much.

Zaimondos wrote:
I've noticed a lot of those solar heaters - we had one in a dilapidated state. I'll look into getting a new one.

The ones from MMC Solar are pressurised so slip right into your normal water system and feed hot water directly to your boiler so if it has a temperature sensor on the incoming feed it will sense hot water coming in and not fire up the gas until it senses cold water coming in. The advantage with this type is that it work in addition to your normal boiler and supply water to your shower and kitchen under pressure.

The other types of water heater you see on many roofs are often unpressurised and have their own pipe work to supply hot water to the bath.
Zaimondos wrote:
Thanks for doing the youtube for me. I didn't know how to post it directly.
No worries, there is a button for inserting Youtube videos up at the top of the posting box. Admittedly it's not very obvious which one it is but I'll see if we can change the look of the toolbar or that particular icon. Currently it's the one that looks like a 'play' button on an old VCR