Hello from... Italy!

Please introduce yourself
Giovanni

Hello from... Italy!

Post by Giovanni »

Good morning!

Thank you so much for letting me join this wonderful community. I am Giovanni, 27 years old, and I am from Italy. I live in my parents farm near Rome with my Japanese wife and my two children.
I've ben involved in farming activities since i was born, mainly wheat and olive oil production, but also vegetables and fruit, and cows and pigs and ali the zoo that you can tipically find in an italian farm.
Like most of you, as i am so glad to read in this forum, i am really in love with this kind of activities, even though i had to relegate them to a weekend hobby since i started a mon-fry, 9.00-17.00, more stable office job in Rome.
In recent times we are planning to move to Japan in the next couple of years, before our elder son starts elementary school, and I would like to preserve as much as i can the present situation, finding a house in the inaka and keep on living a simple life in a quiet place.
Since my wife's family is from Chiba, i guess we will move there.

I think i Will ask a lot on this forum!
Thank you for your time and suggestions that i already found on previous topics!
Giovanni

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Re: Hello from... Italy!

Post by gonbechan »

Giovanni, welcome. It is really great to have you here.
I know there are a few people here who have expressed interest in planting olives, so maybe you will be our new resident olive expert :D

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Thank you Gonbechan, I'll do my best! :D

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to JapanSimpleLife Giovanni and thank you very much for taking the time to sign up, we really do appreciate you taking the time.

Sounds like you have a lot of good farming experience on at your parents place, personally I really like mixed farms like that, makes them far more interesting than just growing one type of crop. A bit more work perhaps but means you are never doing the same thing day in day out.
Giovanni wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:09 pm
Since my wife's family is from Chiba, i guess we will move there.
Chiba is a fairly pleasant place to live, plenty of good countryside locations whilst not being too far from big cities for when you need something there and family connections can help you tremendously when settling into a new area. We had a huge amount of help from friends of Mrs Nouka's parents, ranging from people giving us tools and a rototiller to the real estate agents we bought the land from and lawyers that arranged the contract. It really can make a huge difference, you don't need to be right on your in-laws doorstep but it will surely help.

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:02 am

Sounds like you have a lot of good farming experience on at your parents place, personally I really like mixed farms like that, makes them far more interesting than just growing one type of crop. A bit more work perhaps but means you are never doing the same thing day in day out.
Yes, it requires a regardable amount of sweat and tears, considering that we can barely live out of it (these are not good times for farming in Italy). That's the reason why i decided to do it only part-time, having had the opportunity of a more stable job.

I would like to keep this lifestyile, doing both the shain and the noumin, and maybe, as you said, Chiba would be the perfect place, with the inaka connected to the towns.

Thank you very much for your help and hints! I really appreciate them!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Giovanni wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:43 pm
Yes, it requires a regardable amount of sweat and tears, considering that we can barely live out of it (these are not good times for farming in Italy). That's the reason why i decided to do it only part-time, having had the opportunity of a more stable job.
It's also hard to make a living purely from farming here as well but if you are willing to supplement it from other income streams as well then it's not a bad lifestyle. If you want to run your own business rather than working for someone else I'd suggest you think of things that will use your "gaijinness" or your "Italianness", perhaps open a small cafe several days a week serving countryside Italian cooking using your own grown seasonal vegetables or something else that plays on your foreignness.

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 pm

It's also hard to make a living purely from farming here as well but if you are willing to supplement it from other income streams as well then it's not a bad lifestyle.
I am just worried about cost of living for a family with two children, probably with just me working full time.
That's why i would rather prefer to work somewhere and have a hatake just to grow vegetables for family needs, as i am doing now.
When i was a full time farmer, after married i was always near home, but actually always on the tractor and never with my family, and when i was inside the house, i had incessant worries about the fields and what to do to make ends meet; now, when i come back from work i turn off that switch and all my thoughts are for my family.
I think that a classic job as an employee suits me for this reason.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That is certainly a concern when running your own business that isn't something you have to worry about when having a regular income from working for someone else.

LeeB

Post by LeeB »

Yeah money - income is always a problem, isn't it!!

Not many ways of getting 'rich' anymore so you don't have to work.

You can be born rich (failed there); marry into money (we both fooled each other!!); or win the lottery (don't buy the tickets).

So I guess I'm stuffed!

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

LeeB wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:55 pm
marry into money (we both fooled each other!!)
I laughed :D