Hello from the edge of Nara

Please introduce yourself
Brandon88

Re: Hello from the edge of Nara

Post by Brandon88 »

Thank you for your willingness to connect Zakiyama! We are still looking for a place, but we are making a lot of connections in Totsukawa mura. Yeah, I was guessing your in Shimokitayama when you said there was a population of around 900. We passed through there as well. Looks like a nice place to do some kayaking! One of the houses we are looking at is quite close to there. We will be driving down again from Tokyo in a couple weeks to meet with the folks in the government office. Im glad you are being treated nicely by the locals. My wife is a little bit nervous about being accepted into a small community, but so far everyone we have met has been practicaly begging us to settle down there. Especially when we tell them we want to take over the abandoned fields. Looks like another typhoon is getting ready to pass over you. Stay dry down there!

Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Hello!
My husband and I have a place in Nagano, but are moving to the southern tip of Kyoto, not far (globally speaking) from where you are. Would love to get acquainted. Please send me a pm, and I will give you our contact information.
What an adventure you are on!

Zakiyama

Post by Zakiyama »

Thanks Brandon! The typhoon was pretty mild for us. Went to the beach in Kumano-shi the next day for beach combing.
Totsukawa is right next door according to the map, but I haven't visited yet as the road from here, route 425, is famously the most treacherous road in Japan. It closes often due to landslide risk.
You may have done this already, but the town office can provide landslide hazard maps of the neighborhoods you are looking at. Even if your potential land is not at risk, there is a possibility that nearby at risk hillsides would be "repaired" with concrete which could mean years of loud construction. One house we had looked at was in such a place with the construction "headquarters" and smoking area next door...
Glad you are being well received in Totsukawa! There are pros and cons to joining a small community for sure. Rumors spread fast, good and bad. Since word got out we were looking for farmland, we have gotten more offers than we can manage. Assure you wife you have allies in Shimokitayamamura!
I'm sure your schedule is packed, but if you have extra time and want to meet up at all while you are down here let me know. No pressure!

Zakiyama

Post by Zakiyama »

Hi Wendy! Thanks for reaching out. Looks like I need to level up more before I can PM....Kyoto is close enough for an ambitious day trip or relaxed weekend. We go to Nara- Shi pretty often for land registration paperwork stuff, and it's just another hour or two to Kyoto. I'm jealous you will be close to Costco. I will PM you just as soon as I unlock messaging.

Brandon88

Post by Brandon88 »

Thanks Zakiyama. Haha yeah 425 is a fun one. We drove it from Totsukawa to Shimokitayama last time we were down that way. It wasnt so bad actually. Definitely steep and Winding, and took a lot longer than we planned. We ended up camping for the night near the pass when our original plan was Shimokitayama camp ground. But there were some gorgeous views! And thankfully no landslide action while we were on it. Thank you so much for your advice on the landslide maps. That is very useful info and we will be sure to do so. We also appreciate having new allies! :D Meeting up would be really great, as long as we can find the time. Somehow we wind up being really busy when we go down there. As its such an expansive mountainous region it can wind up taking all day to check out a couple akiya. So no offense if it doesn't work this time. Also, no pressure on yourselves, I know you guys are busy! But we would really love to make friends in the region, and I hope it can work out. I too need to level up more to unlock private messages... If your on facebook, im probably the only brandon rimstidt living in Japan. If you send a friend request we can P.M. on messenger. Stay well!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Brandon88 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:07 pm
I too need to level up more to unlock private messages...
Why not join one of the many conversations happening on the forum ? You don't need a huge number of posts and unlike FaceBook we will never sell your personal details and messages to advertisers or anyone else.

Brandon88

Post by Brandon88 »

Thanks Zasso. I will do so. :)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

:thumbup:

Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Hey Brandon, sent you a private message too! Happy to connect with anyone passing through the Nara area (and Nagano, at certain times!).