Greetings from... on the fence!

Please introduce yourself
mcsim

Re: Greetings from... on the fence!

Post by mcsim » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:30 am

I'm definitely treasuring all this discussion re wood stoves! I hadn't even thought of the energy efficiency angle that gonbechan mentioned, but that's interesting to hear indeed.

For us it's a combination of feeling more connected to our heat source (I think chopping firewood is quite meditative and I like the exercise), not being dependent on gas in case of emergency, and of course the ambience.
Wendy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:35 pm
A hearty second on the idea of importing a stove....found ours on craigslist, and the savings from what a Japanese stove would have cost paid for the shipment of all of my worldly belongings from the US (and the stove). We went through customs with the shipment about 2.5 years after the initial move; it came as unaccompanied baggage when I came back on a flight and there were no taxes (which was a surprise because I heard about a 6 mth limit). I am not sure why, but I didn't do a lot of questioning! Clearing customs ourselves was fairly simple....I may have a contact if you are interested.

The quality of life with a wood stove is beyond amazing (we spent a winter without it)....heats much of the house.

As to Nagano, please feel free to come see us! We are between Saku and Karuizawa in the small town of Miyota (actually a much smaller town that is part of Miyota). Close to a lot of things, but with the feel of a small town....can't say enough good about it. Let us know when you come this way and we will be glad to show you what we know! Plus if you like Mexican food, we can set you up!
Regardless of our destination right now we're thinking that we'll make our move during summer of this year and probably spend 1 year renting to scope out different areas, so we won't likely be looking to make any big purchases and imports until 1.5-2 years down the road. However I will certainly check back in on your offer re a contact then!

And thank you so much for the invitation! We're tentatively planning a trip to visit in April to visit family in the Ina area, so I might take you up on that as well. I have a coworker who has a lot of friends further north near Nagano city who have offered to show me around as well, so I might do something of a "Where to Live in Nagano" tour haha. I'll send you a private message if my plans come together!

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:47 am

Please do be in touch. Our little village also has a set of cabins (public/private partnership as I understand it)...each cabin has its own garden, and the idea is that the residents will participate in organic farming methods.

https://www.town.miyota.nagano.jp/categ ... 43996.html

I should really make a separate post about this....intriguing concept that yielded us a couple of close friends (they lived there for a year while they were building their house).

Anyway, lots to see here!

mcsim

Post by mcsim » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:04 am

Wendy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:47 am
Please do be in touch. Our little village also has a set of cabins (public/private partnership as I understand it)...each cabin has its own garden, and the idea is that the residents will participate in organic farming methods.

I should really make a separate post about this....intriguing concept that yielded us a couple of close friends (they lived there for a year while they were building their house).

Anyway, lots to see here!
Wow, this is really cool!

I've seen something somewhat similar in bunjouchi developments but not like this. Found the homepage with instructions for applying in 2020: https://www.town.miyota.nagano.jp/categ ... 49995.html

Going to have to read through this after dinner. Thanks for sharing!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:41 am

Wendy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:47 am
Our little village also has a set of cabins (public/private partnership as I understand it)...each cabin has its own garden, and the idea is that the residents will participate in organic farming methods.

That would be great if you can spare the time so that others who are interested could find it more easily.