Greetings from North Carolina, USA

Please introduce yourself
mylhendir

Greetings from North Carolina, USA

Post by mylhendir » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:56 am

Hi everybody! I was directed to this forum by somebody I know from a mutual online game. I am slowly researching about moving to japan, hopefully via school in the next year or 3. I am a 35 year old geeky dude who never finished college and plans on killing two birds with one stone by doing my schooling in the place I want to live in. Japan/Asia has been a goal of mine for decades and time's a wasting.

Hopefully, if I can get over there, after I get my schooling done I can move to the country side where the housing is cheaper and less crowded. Ideally living within biking/walking distance of a train station is possible at some future point.

I look forward to meeting and talking to people who live and aspire to live in Japan (and broader east Asia). Any information or guides people have that can help me learn more about applying to schools in Japan (both foreign satellite campuses and native Japanese 4 year universities like the G30 program stuff I have heard about) would be greatly and deeply appreciated.

Domo arigatou!
Mylhendir

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Greetings from North Carolina, USA

Post by Zasso Nouka » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:48 am

Hi Mylhendir and welcome to Japan Simple Life. We really do appreciate you taking the time to sign up and also a big thank you to your friend.

You can certainly find reasonably priced properties in the countryside here and another big bonus is that so long as you are not right out in the sticks then local infrastructure is likely to be good so commuting (if that's what you want to do) can be painless and easy.

I personally can't give you much information about applying to schools or colleges in Japan but you might find some relevant information on the Moving to Japan subreddit. They seem to have plenty of information there about colleges and schools, for all countryside matters we'd be more than willing to help you out.

Hope it all comes together for you.

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:54 pm

Mylhendir,
As luck would have it, I am a college counselor here in Japan (with a farmer husband). PM me with your email and maybe I can help you with some initial ideas...there are a bunch of undergraduate degrees taught in English here, but you should step carefully!

Good luck!

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:36 pm

Hey man welcome. My only recommendation is that if you want a good quality education stick to the highest ranking universities, ideally Todai or one similar. I did a 1 year exchange at a MARCH university and with few exceptions the quality of the courses was really poor and many students just watched Netflix or played games in class. For many universities attendance is basically all that is required to pass. If you’re looking for something easy then maybe that will appeal to you but it’s pretty difficult to be motivated under those circumstances

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:42 am

VanillaEssence,
I have heard much the same, and some fairly shocking stories from highly ranked universities too. Depending on what the OP is after, there might be a fit here, but yeah, tread carefully. Student visas (generally? always?) come with the right to work 28 hours/week, which could be an education unto itself!

mylhendir

Post by mylhendir » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:31 pm

HI all, I have been busy with stuff lately sorry for the lack of reply.

@Zasso Nouka: thank you so much :D. I plan on perusing the relevant areas of the forum :D.

@VanillaEssence: I too have heard of those stories about japanese college students "being on vacation" from doing/worrying about college/high school entrance exams when it came to college coursework. I want at least some challenge in my courses but I don't always want super hard stuff either. Thank you for the heads up though :D. Also, like Wendy, I have heard those stories seem to come from ALL levels of the japanese universities.

@Wendy: I will do that thank you so much! I desperately need more information. I will PM in the next day or two :D.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:22 am

No worries at all, we're used to a slower pace on the forum here :lol:

mylhendir

Post by mylhendir » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:09 am

@Zassi Nouka thank you i will keep that in mind.

@wendy apparently i need to message on the boards more before I can send a PM. so i will send one when i can. on a related note, that is a good passive security measure vs spam. good idea.

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:06 pm

I will try now to PM you!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:49 pm

Sorry, it's a built in limit on phpBB to protect forums from spammers signing up and then posting spam, you have to post a certain number of posts before gaining access to the messaging subsystem. It's assumed that spammers won't bother and will go somewhere easier instead. Can't remember exactly what the limit is but I think it's between 10 - 15 posts