Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of...........

Please introduce yourself
fexluz

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of...........

Post by fexluz »

Greetings everyone. Long time sporadic lurker (going back many years, to the previous forum), first time poster . Glad to see this forum has carried on...although I remain curious as to why the previous forum was so unceremoniously vaporized :think:

By way of introduction, I'm an American living a quasi-retired, "hobbyist gardener lifestyle" with my wife in southern Ibaraki, having recently closed out a 20-year career in financial IT. We chose Ibaraki as a compromise between darkest urbanity and the wilds of Yamagata or Nagano, both of which we visited while searching for a suitable property. I found the last forum to be quite a useful resource in that search, although I think there is a lot more than can be said about that, and hope to add what I can over time...

Anyway, I'm a bit of a DIY stickler, and when I'm not in the garden (which I hacked out of the clay, by hand, this spring) I can be found puttering, fixing, cleaning, disassembling/reassembling, or installing something for the house. Hopefully we can help each other out!

Yoroshiku...!

p.s. Zasso sir, apologies for the long delay in posting... to answer your PM, everything with the forum has been working fine, I'm just a world-class procrastinator and didn't get around to typing up an initial post until just now. Sorry if you were worried!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to Japan Simple Life Fexluz,

I used to live in Kamisu before we found our current plot of land in Chiba and quite liked it there, we looked at various properties around Katori and Sawara but the price was never right unfortunately. "Hobbyist gardener lifestyle" sounds like quite a nice way to spend your day, looking forward to hearing more about it and if you have any projects to share that would be great, I'm quite keen on DIY myself so always glad to see what other folk are up to and get some ideas myself and if you have any links to inaka fudosans or other resources for finding land in the countryside that would be awesome.

I'm not quite sure why Ken deleted the old forum, when we set this one up we had originally intended to have the two running side by side with CLJ offering a wealth of subjects from it's long history and JSL offering a more feature rich environment found on most modern forums and indeed most people were posting on both sites. Then suddenly one day when checking in to read CLJ it had been deleted in it's entirety, because of the way Runboard works when a forum is deleted a new one can be created and if it has the exact same name it gets exactly the same URL as the old board. I'm not sure if that is a 'feature' or a bug, I'd tend to see it as a bug personally or maybe if an administrator wants to stop other folk from using the URL they should opt for 'hiding' the board and making it invisible without deleting it. That way the board can be revealed in the future if the admin changes their mind but deleting it relinquishes any claim they had to the URL and or name so anyone else can use that name or URL. We resurrected CLJ with a notification in place linking to JSL so that any long term members would be able to find their way here and catch up with old friends. We invited Ken to join JSL but so far he hasn't. Why, I have no idea and neither could I say why he deleted the old board, which I can see from the daily stats still sometimes gets a reasonable amount of traffic, probably from all the links back to it from various places on the net.
fexluz wrote:p.s. Zasso sir, apologies for the long delay in posting... to answer your PM, everything with the forum has been working fine, I'm just a world-class procrastinator and didn't get around to typing up an initial post until just now. Sorry if you were worried!
Honestly no worries man, we're new to phpBB so never quite sure if there are errors with the board software or if it's working properly. So far it seems quite stable but you can never be sure. Thanks for clearing that up and if you do find any issues or have suggestions for improvement we are happy to hear and make the site a better place for everyone.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Fexluz, great to have you here.

It sounds like you have carved out an ideal life in Ibaraki. Gardening and DIY sound like paradise to me.
That and the peace of the countryside and watching the seasons pass.. one cannot really ask for much more.

It would be wonderful if you could start a thread with all your DIY tinkering.
We have many intentions for DIY projects but just not the time to implement them properly yet.
I think your projects could be enormous inspiration for many people and I know I would be an avid fan.

Bessou Man

Post by Bessou Man »

Hello,

Long time Tokyo resident trying to purchase land in Chiba for a second house. A place that over the next 20 years I hope to transition to spending the majority of my time in..

just to be clear. I'm not considering to move into one of the bessou resort estates. They are my vision of hell...

Looking for a place without immediate neighbors. And land Ideally at least 50m above sea level..

And I'm really struggling to find land.
Two years searching online and countless visits to inspect plots that seemed viable.

Not looking for a patch of farming land. But think a minimum of 300tsubo to max of 700-800 would be fine. Enough for some grow my own activity in later years. And a bunch of other projects I have in mind..
Ideally within 15km of a station on 外房線 down as far as two stops past mobara so I could still reach Tokyo in an hour by train..

I've visited Realestate agents in the area and not even had a call back.. Spoken to builder that's keen to build for me but can't find land to propose.

My only requirement for the land is "some kind of a view" (not a panorama by all means..) and electricity, mains water supply/sewage.
(I'll get no grant for well digging or septic tanks as its a second house..)

I've read what people have said about moving to an area first and then searching for land but that isn't feasible for me. Given my current committments in Tokyo..

If anyone has any suggestion for search agencies/methods then I'm happy to hear them..

As for the house. Well. Once I've got the land I'll be tapping people up for all kind of advice. I'm hoping over the fullness of time and with technology advances to make it effectively off-grid without a lifestyle compromise..

Yoroshiku. And many arigatous in advance...

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to JSL Bessou Man,

Sounds like an interesting project you have planned, I take it you've tried the various real estate agents on Inaka Net and others in the "Finding Land Thread" without any joy ? I know that when we were searching for a plot of land most of the old school fudosans didn't have any web presence and were quite tricky to find.

Are you looking for a completely virgin plot to build on or something with an existing structure that you can demolish and then build your house ? Don't know what the property situation is in the area you are looking but kind of imagine it might be a desirable area with commuters and that pushes prices up a little, I think it might also be popular with retirees looking for a second life in the countryside. Are you totally wedded to the idea of living there or would you consider somewhere up in northern Chiba ?
Bessou Man wrote: Spoken to builder that's keen to build for me but can't find land to propose.

I do hope it's not Suzusei Home ?
Bessou Man wrote: As for the house. Well. Once I've got the land I'll be tapping people up for all kind of advice. I'm hoping over the fullness of time and with technology advances to make it effectively off-grid without a lifestyle compromise..
Some of the leads in battery technology recently seem to offer exciting prospects in the future for storing all your own power at a reasonable price rather than selling it off to the grid and both OM Solar and ECS offer some interesting ideas on passive heating.

Lazi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lazi »

Welcome aboard Fexluz & Bessou Man,

Thank you both for taking the time to sign up and join our little community, look forward to hearing more about your plans and projects in the future.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Bessou Man, welcome.
Great to have you with us and am looking forward to following your adventures of finding property in Chiba.
I will post some new links in the Finding Land thread

Yamabiru

Post by Yamabiru »

Hi all,

I'm JohnE , Johnny, from the old forum and this,
Seem to have a bit of trouble with passwords and tech ;)
I'm in Hyogo. Used to be an active gardener and part time farmer wannabe,
Lately just keeping the weeds at bay and the house maintained
And woodsheds filled, in between undokai's and kodomokais etc etc
I'll stay logged in for safety's sake
Hope to hear from y'all and participate more,

Stay dry,

Yamabiru

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hasashiburi Yamabiru,

Good to have you back man and liking the new username :lol: , maybe I should consider YamaStrongZero :)

Are you still treasure hunting with your metal detector and how's the veggy patch doing ?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Welcome back, fellow Hyogoite.
Nice to have you back.
Maybe we need a metal detecting sub forum.
Poor Senor Gonbe was planning to go out this weekend but the weather put paid to his plans.
At least after the typhoon, the beaches might give up their treasures.