Gerald from Singapore

Please introduce yourself
Mister G

Gerald from Singapore

Post by Mister G »

Hi all, my name is Gerald and I was introduced to this forum by my friend and fellow colleague Eric in Japan.

I moved into Ibaraki last year when I married my Japanese wife. Being a Singaporean, I started to love the inaka life, being surrounded everyday by nature.

Naturally, I started to get into gardening. I managed to convince my wife to let me use a small plot of land (~4.5m2 of planting space) at her mother's property. I started out in February this year and I must say that it has become my newfound passion and hobby.

I hope to learn more about gardening before I move on to a bigger plot, especially since there are some really experienced folks around here. Will share some photos of the daikons and hakusai growing since September, as well as some comments regarding my current method of gardening ( specifically, intensive no dig).

Thanks for reading!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Gerald from Singapore

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hi Gerald welcome to Japan Simple Life and thank you for taking the time to sign up, we really do appreciate that. Also a big thank you to @Eric in Japan for pointing you this way.

Inaka life here in Japan can be pretty sweet, I personally love being surrounded by nature and in touch with the seasons rather than looking out at concrete and tarmac all day long. Would love to hear more about your growing style and what you have going at the moment, I'm gradually moving parts of our farm over to low till/no till so always interested to hear tips and suggestions from folk that already practice that style of growing.

Did you grow much of your own food back in Singapore ? I imagine growing conditions there are quite different to Ibaraki, particularly in the winter.

Eric in Japan

Gerald from Singapore

Post by Eric in Japan »

Hey Gerald! Nice to see you on here!
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Gerald from Singapore

Post by gonbechan »

wonderful to have you here Gerald

Mister G

Gerald from Singapore

Post by Mister G »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:27 am

Inaka life here in Japan can be pretty sweet, I personally love being surrounded by nature and in touch with the seasons rather than looking out at concrete and tarmac all day long. Would love to hear more about your growing style and what you have going at the moment, I'm gradually moving parts of our farm over to low till/no till so always interested to hear tips and suggestions from folk that already practice that style of growing.
I am on my first year of no dig and I can say that there are definitely some advantages and disadvantages to this style. It is definitely worth exploring in this climate. One of it is eliminating the need for additional fertilizer during the growing period, although leaves and foliage will get out of control for some vegetables. You also need a few years of patience for the soil organism to help till the soil and organic materials before vegetables start to grow really well.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:27 am

Did you grow much of your own food back in Singapore ? I imagine growing conditions there are quite different to Ibaraki, particularly in the winter.
Although Singapore is a tropical country and is practically summer all year long, we don't really grow food due to space constraint (imagine fitting 6 million people into a space 1/10 of Ibaraki), spare a few small hydroponics farm. So it is really my first experience growing food for myself. I still remember not knowing that mushrooms grew on trees.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Gerald from Singapore

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Mister G wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:32 am
I am on my first year of no dig and I can say that there are definitely some advantages and disadvantages to this style. It is definitely worth exploring in this climate. One of it is eliminating the need for additional fertilizer during the growing period, although leaves and foliage will get out of control for some vegetables. You also need a few years of patience for the soil organism to help till the soil and organic materials before vegetables start to grow really well.
It's still very much a journey of discovery for me also, our soil was in pretty good shape because we didn't relentless cultivate it before but now in the beds that have already moved over to low/no till we have lots of worms living there. We're still using chicken and cow manure as so far we've struggled to make enough compost for the whole farm but we no longer deep till that into the soil.
Mister G wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:32 am
Although Singapore is a tropical country and is practically summer all year long, we don't really grow food due to space constraint (imagine fitting 6 million people into a space 1/10 of Ibaraki), spare a few small hydroponics farm. So it is really my first experience growing food for myself. I still remember not knowing that mushrooms grew on trees.
I didn't realise Singapore was so densely populated :oops:, mind you I only recently discovered Hong Kong has mountains and forests :oops: