Hello from Saitama/Niigata

Please introduce yourself
Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

RJ from California here. 14years in Japan now, living in Saitama, building a log cabin in Niigata that never seems to make it from hole in the ground and multiplying piles of logs. Found this forum while researching wood burning stoves and liked what I saw. Hopefully there is lots to learn and I can contribute as well. ;)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to Japan Simple Life RJ, we really do appreciate you taking the time to sign up. Thank you very much.

As you might have seen from previous posts I'm big fan of log houses, are you building it yourself or do you have a company taking care of the construction for you ? I can person attest to how good wood burning stoves are, if you get a good one they can keep your house really warm and toasty, we typically wear shorts and t-shirts in the middle of winter but when visiting friend have to bundle up like we're visiting the arctic.

Looking forward to hearing how your house building progresses.

Otona Cream Pie

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:54 pm
Welcome to Japan Simple Life RJ, we really do appreciate you taking the time to sign up. Thank you very much.

As you might have seen from previous posts I'm big fan of log houses, are you building it yourself or do you have a company taking care of the construction for you ? I can person attest to how good wood burning stoves are, if you get a good one they can keep your house really warm and toasty, we typically wear shorts and t-shirts in the middle of winter but when visiting friend have to bundle up like we're visiting the arctic.

Looking forward to hearing how your house building progresses.
Thanks Zasso!

I'm still exploring the forum but it really is full of great info and links. Appreciate that such a resource is available.

I am self building, the land is zoned as sanrin so it's not the usual bureaucratic paperwork headache but the problem with building on the other side of the island is how often I can get out there. Over the past few years I cleared the land of 40 years worth of unkept jungle mess, fell/limbed/bucked about 50 sugi, dug out the foundation/sewage, and seeded as much as possible with grass to keep the weeds at bay. ATM, just camping there 1-2x a month and prepping a few more logs while I organize the foundation. (likely having a local friend get his company to handle that since it will get done with me there or not)

Wood stove would be for Saitama but the log cabin plan is it will get a large rumford fireplace since it doesn't need to be too efficient.

Ahhh priorities!
PXL_20210504_124728710.MP.jpg
PXL_20210504_124728710.MP.jpg (43.01 KiB) Viewed 206 times

Otona Cream Pie

PXL_20210504_070945631.jpg
PXL_20210504_070945631.jpg (86.06 KiB) Viewed 204 times
PXL_20210504_080806845.jpg
PXL_20210504_080806845.jpg (91.2 KiB) Viewed 204 times

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Wow man, that's quite a project. I'm in awe of someone that can build their own house, please do keep us updated in your progress as it's something I'd certainly like to see. Are you using the sugi you felled to build the cabin ?
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:49 am
while I organize the foundation. (likely having a local friend get his company to handle that since it will get done with me there or not)
Sounds like a good idea, I did the same when building my packing shed. It certainly made life a lot easier than trying to mix and pour all that concrete myself.

Wood stove would be for Saitama but the log cabin plan is it will get a large rumford fireplace since it doesn't need to be too efficient.
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:49 am
Ahhh priorities!
PXL_20210504_124728710.MP.jpg
Well a chap has to relax after a hard day's work :D

Otona Cream Pie

Using the sugi is the plan but I have a feeling I will need to cut down more. I've used the usual borate treatments but some of the logs have bug damage so will make do with what I can and it's not like you can ever have too much firewood :D

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I guess it's not worth using wood that's already damaged and could need replacing later.

Otona Cream Pie

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:05 am
I guess it's not worth using wood that's already damaged and could need replacing later.
Definitely. On the bright side, I have a pretty massive source of more logs if needed. :D (and I don't mind replanting some less allergy ridden trees in their place....fuck sugi pollen!)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Yeah, it's nice to put some diversity back into the forests. We've been gradually adding in momiji and other hard woods to our forest but it's a pretty slow process.

Otona Cream Pie

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:22 pm
Yeah, it's nice to put some diversity back into the forests. We've been gradually adding in momiji and other hard woods to our forest but it's a pretty slow process.
Definitely want a few momiji, I already sacrificed one Canadian on the land for good luck.
cansac.jpeg
cansac.jpeg (83.24 KiB) Viewed 154 times
(disclaimer: yes, this is a joke - the local "UV-cut" headwear was just too silly looking and I had my chainsaw out so...)

I managed to save about 8 akamatsu when I was going to down and clearing the jungle. Maybe it's my bias from the forests of California but I want to see pine needles.