Coming to Tottori soon

Please introduce yourself
Tora

Coming to Tottori soon

Post by Tora »

baragua wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:34 am
Damn man, you guys got me shook about this lacquer tree. Is it this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicoden ... rnicifluum

In any case, I'm going to go around the property and scan trees and shrubs before I start the purge. I use the Seek app: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/seek_app. Anyone use something similar?
Might be a problem if your super allergic or have sensitive skin.

It’s supposed to be less potent and easy to recognize in the fall. So now might be a good time to go after them prat least mark them for winter disposal. Look for the really beautiful red leaves. The smaller saplings are easy to pull up and they have come back when I’ve chopped, snipped and mowed them in the past. I did a purge of bigger trees in the spring summer by cutting gashes into the trunks and brushing on some old Roundup I found in the barn when we moved in. I hate the stuff but it worked on all but the 2 biggest trees. Might go after the 2 survivors again tomorrow now that it’s on my mind. I think I got some on my arm. It’s been itchy for a few days.

It’s a shame cuz they really are beautiful and useful trees. I’m not surprised some unsuspecting plant hunter decided to take lacquer trees back to England and sell them as ornamentals to unsuspecting gardeners and homeowners there. Curious what happened when people found out the hard way and wanted answers :lol:

I’m guessing the sap is also an irritant so be careful handling clothes, tools etc.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Coming to Tottori soon

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Chuck2 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:17 pm
It was a few years ago when we eat it. No stomach ache that I can remember. My wife thinks that it wasn't a urushi tree but she can't remember what the tree was called.
Just had a lightbulb moment. Could it have been Tara ? Superficially the leaves look a bit similar and tara buds are used to make tempura in the spring.

Chuck2

Coming to Tottori soon

Post by Chuck2 »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:58 am
Just had a lightbulb moment. Could it have been Tara ? Superficially the leaves look a bit similar and tara buds are used to make tempura in the spring.
Just said to the wife "Tara me" and she said "yep that's exactly what it was. Thanks for clearing that up. All this talk about them is giving me an itch to go out and harvest them again soon!