Hello

Please introduce yourself
UeNSaVOr

Hello

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Hello, all.

I also saw this place mentioned on reddit a week or two ago. I'm still technically in Tokyo for now, but my goal is to move out (either into Tohoku near my future in-laws, but more desirably maybe further west or southwest) in the next 5 to 10 years depending upon work and savings. Currently, I have a handful of plants on my balcony and in front of my rental house (mostly varieties of peppers and herbs, but also experimenting with some other veg that the fiancee likes but I don't as much).

My long-term goal is to have a place with a pond, a near-by creak or river (probably won't be doable), a small orchard of fruit trees, a vegetable garden (hopefully with enough to trade for things I don't want to grow, such as rice and/or wheat), some chickens, and possibly some goats in the further future.

I grew up in a semi-rural part of the US, but have lived in major cities and am somewhat torn between the two. My grandfather was almost fully self-sufficient and even took up blacksmithing in his late 50s or early 60s.

I probably won't participate too terribly much for now, but I've been reading a lot of past posts and look forward to absorbing what wisdom I can and hopefully being able to help others in the future.

Cheers!
~Jay

Oh, and no meaning in the username. It is just randomly generated.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hi Jay,

Welcome to Japan simple life. Thank you for joining us here, we really do appreciate everyone who takes the time to sign up.

Sounds like a nice plan you have there. Being near the in laws can be really useful if you have a good relationship with them, my wife's parents really helped us when we first bought our land and their network of friends made things so much easier. Everyone from the fudosan that sold us the land to the surveyor and solicitor who finalised the contract was someone they knew.

Fruit trees and veggy patch sounds good and I wish we had a small mountain stream nearby to cool off in during summer but sadly any water near us is probably full of chemicals from the rice paddies :cry:

That's pretty cool your grandfather got into blacksmithing so late in life, maybe I can do something similar if I ever get some free time.

All the best and looking forward to hearing how you get on in a few years time.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Hello

Post by gonbechan »

Jay, welcome, Great to have you here.
Which veggies are those you don't like so much?
I don't think I have yet met a vegetable I dislike. There is always some way to cook things to make them tastier.

UeNSaVOr

Hello

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Gonbechan,

At the moment, it's aubergine/eggplant. I can eat it, but I'm not a huge fan. It's really more of a texture thing. I don't know what mine will be like (assuming they survive long enough) this time around, so I'll have to see.

donguri

Hello

Post by donguri »

Welcome, Jay!

I also grew up in a rural area of the US, but lived most of my life in metro areas. I've been in Japan for nearly 18 years now, the last 4 in the mountains of northeast Aichi. Being near a river or stream in these parts is almost a given! Good luck with your plan. If you're not afraid of hard work (and weeds) it should be possible.