Forum may be a little erratic over the next few days

Forthcoming changes or site maintenance
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Japan Simple Life may be a little unstable for the next few days. I've temporarily taken it off CloudFlare and this is causing some instability.

Will let it settle down and then try putting it back onto CloudFlare later

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Time for a bit of an explanation.

Due to some configuration issues (maybe me, maybe Namecheap and maybe CloudFlare but probably me) CloudFlare was blocking incoming mail to the Japansimplelife.com domain so we weren't receiving any mail at our two main addresses. I decided to take the domain off CloudFlare to resolve that issue but unfortunately doing that exposed us to an ongoing DDos attack launched by the admin of our previous forum. CloudFlare had been shielding us from that DDos attack but as soon as we left their protection the attack took the forum down. Our hosting company (Namecheap) have given us some temporary protection and will try their best to keep the forum available but at the end of the day we need to get back under the protection of CloudFlare.

The email issues have now been resolved and if anyone needs to contact us the admin@japansimplelife.com & board@japansimplelife.com addresses now work as they should.

With the help of the fantastic support staff at Namecheap and CloudFlare I'll be moving us back onto CloudFlare over the next few days but that may cause some issues as we need to change our DNS records and that can take a while to propagate globally. If you get any problems accessing the forum clear your browser cache and also the DNS cache on your device and hopefully you can access the forum if that doesn't work let me know and we'll try to get you back in touch as swift as possible.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Okay I’m pretty interested in the previous admin launching a Ddos attack on this forum. Who are they and why are they doing that? Haha

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

VanillaEssence wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:52 pm
Okay I’m pretty interested in the previous admin launching a Ddos attack on this forum. Who are they and why are they doing that? Haha
Probably an Admin from the r/Japanlife subreddit. They're generally a bunch of cunts over there.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

VanillaEssence wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:52 pm
We were originally on the Country Living Japan forum on Runboard with some of us coming from the old Gaijinpot country living subforum. The admin there publicly seemed like a laid back geezer but in private he could be quite abusive sending nasty DM's and posting negative comments towards folk he disagreed with and then quickly editing those posts after the person had read them so other members wouldn't be aware of what he had said. I'd always wondered why members there that lived in the countryside dropped out of the forum after a short while and found out why when he started doing the same to me. He did exactly the same thing on the Gaijinpot country living subforum, driving away farmers or other folk living and working in the countryside always trying to make himself the centre of attention.

Runboard offers free forum hosting but the interface is incredibly limited so Gonbechan and I wanted to set something up that provided a more feature rich environment and also somewhere such negative behaviour by the admins wasn't encouraged. We offered the admin of CLJ a place here but he declined the offer as he would no longer have been the centre of attention here and made threats to have us shutdown by 'friends' of his and soon after we got hit by ddos attacks taking the forum offline, a coincidence maybe ? That's when we moved onto CloudFlare and the threat analytics there showed that whenever a flurry of new members joined or we got busy another flurry of ddos attacks would come in. We can't be 100% sure it was him behind the attacks but can't think of many other people who would want to take down a tiny little niche forum like us, luckily the attacks were mitigated by CloudFlare.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:15 pm
Probably an Admin from the r/Japanlife subreddit. They're generally a bunch of cunts over there.
I chat with Bulldogdiver every now and then and have never felt any ill feeling from him towards us here. Don't post much there myself as it's not really oriented towards countryside living.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Interesting to hear that story haha. Amazing how many kooks Japan attracts :lol:

ETA. hid it proper for you (Gonbechan)

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:03 am
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:15 pm
I chat with Bulldogdiver every now and then and have never felt any ill feeling from him towards us here. Don't post much there myself as it's not really oriented towards countryside living.
I was sort of joking with that to be honest, but a lot of the admins on Reddit for Japan related things seem to be bellends of a sort, not everyone but most of them.
I just avoid those subreddits now.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

VanillaEssence wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:18 am
Interesting to hear that story haha. Amazing how many kooks Japan attracts :lol:
It does indeed seems to attract some really odd folk
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:13 pm
I was sort of joking with that to be honest, but a lot of the admins on Reddit for Japan related things seem to be bellends of a sort, not everyone but most of them.
I just avoid those subreddits now.
Reddit can be an odd place, I really don't get the circlejerk communities, they seem to bring out some of the worst aspects in human beings and then there are other communities that are chilled out and friendly.