Garden farm insurance?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
BC_japan

Garden farm insurance?

Post by BC_japan »

We have a 100 tsubo garden (2 separate 50 tsubo properties, 1 in my wife's name 1 in her dad's name but eventually will be mine) where we are investing a lot of money in infrastructure (about 2 mil yen), mainly because we live an hour away from it. So we built a 10 m2 tiny house so we can sleep overnight and prepare meals and such, and I'm in the process of building a new fence and will later install extensive drip irrigation and a small greenhouse and a tool storage shed.

So we would like to get everything insured against flood/fire/earthquake/theft. Since this is just a hobby at best right now and maybe eventually something that we might earn, at most, 500k yen per year extra income (before deducting expenses), we have no interest in joining the JA mafia.

What are our options for insurance to cover all of the infrastructure?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Garden farm insurance?

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Have you asked the same company that does your house insurance for a quote ? You might get a cheaper price as you are already a customer.

Chuck2

Garden farm insurance?

Post by Chuck2 »

BC_japan wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:12 am
We have a 100 tsubo garden (2 separate 50 tsubo properties, 1 in my wife's name 1 in her dad's name but eventually will be mine) where we are investing a lot of money in infrastructure (about 2 mil yen), mainly because we live an hour away from it. So we built a 10 m2 tiny house so we can sleep overnight and prepare meals and such, and I'm in the process of building a new fence and will later install extensive drip irrigation and a small greenhouse and a tool storage shed.

So we would like to get everything insured against flood/fire/earthquake/theft. Since this is just a hobby at best right now and maybe eventually something that we might earn, at most, 500k yen per year extra income (before deducting expenses), we have no interest in joining the JA mafia.

What are our options for insurance to cover all of the infrastructure?
I have crop insurance through NOSAI, here is their website http://nosai.or.jp/nosai_kasou/kyousai_05.html they might have something to offer you for your infrastructure. I currently have none of my infrastructure insured because I think it was way too expensive or they didn't have that kind of insurance.

As for their crop insurance it is a waste of money in my opinion. I tried to make a claim a couple of years ago but they denied it. I have talked to other farmers who also said their claims were denied. If your farm isn't washed away in a mudslide good luck with getting any money out of them.

Not sure if any of this helps. What are you planning on growing?
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

BC_japan

Garden farm insurance?

Post by BC_japan »

We'll be growing a mix of vegetables and a few fruits. My main concern is to get the infrastructure insured against common types of loss. My wife seems to think that nobody will insure the tiny house because we built it ourselves (it's built to professional standards and you wouldn't know it's DIY by looking at it). In my experience in the US, you can insure nearly any type of farm infrastructure so I would guess this is true in Japan? The only thing I can find is insurance for JA farm union members, but that doesn't apply to us (and never will).

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Garden farm insurance?

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I'm not sure about insuring infrastructure as none of ours is insured but I would have thought you could get the house insured.