A forum for all things cooking, food or snack related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Where do you buy your deli goods?

Post by gonbechan »

VanillaEssence wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks for the links. I’ve seen the amazon ones and the price would be decent if it’s weren’t for the shipping fee. Don’t think I can quite justify buying heaps of cheese at once to spread out the fee haha.
If you keep a watch out, sometimes they have Amazon Prime offers. That's when we buy.

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:52 am
Maybe the new UK/Japan trade deal will bring more proper cheddar to Japan, otherwise it's Costco but and I mean no disrespect to anyone from America Costco's cheddars just aren't proper farmhouse matured cheddar.
:lol:

The Cheddar-Jack is probably more to your taste but even as 'merican I feel your pain. The US-style mozzarella is waaaay too salty for my liking.

On the other hand, Costco has had quite a few of euro-cheese on the shelves lately. I'm particularly fond of the French Goat cheese for making omelets and quiche.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
I honestly mean no disrespect to American cheese makers but at the end of the day we all probably favour what we grew up with.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

i think you will find that the prices here are better than costco

Wykes mature cheddar

Wyke Farms Red Leicester

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Costco actually has 500g of mature cheddar for ¥1500 or maybe a few hundred less and I rate it highly. Still need to try out tele amigos

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Which brand is that, if you don't mind me asking ?

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Don’t know the brand sorry. Think it’s a Costco house brand. It’s a product of UK tho I’m pretty sure. Definitely tastes like it. No artificial feeling at all

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

Actually just checked, it’s that Wyke brand too

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Wyke farm brand cheddar is pretty good.

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

VanillaEssence wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:35 pm
Don’t know the brand sorry. Think it’s a Costco house brand. It’s a product of UK tho I’m pretty sure. Definitely tastes like it. No artificial feeling at all
At the risk of starting the next eibei cheese war, what is "artificial feeling?" ****

I get that tons of the "cheese products" the 'merican companies are the fast food equivalent of cheese and don't even get to be legally called cheese...and I tend to avoid those products.....but I've also been attacked by Aussies for using that Tillamook Cheddar that Costco sells when cooking because "it looks like orange plastic!" and "must be totally artificial!" They took issue with the color and assumed it was some sort of "American artificial cancer causing coloring agent" so I looked into all the accusations.

Turns out the color is from Annatto....which is natural and supposedly has quite a few health benefits. It's not just an American thing either....

From Wikipedia:
England is another country that has used annatto to color their cheeses; colorants had been added to Gloucester cheese as early as the 16th century to allow inferior cheese to masquerade as the best Double Gloucester, with annatto later being used for that purpose. This usage was subsequently adopted in other parts of the UK, for cheeses such as Cheshire and Red Leicester, as well as colored Cheddar made in Scotland. Many cheddars are produced in both white and red (orange) varieties, with the latter being more popular despite the only difference between the two being the presence of annatto as a coloring. That practice has extended to many modern processed cheese products, such as American cheese and Velveeta. Cheeses from other countries also use annatto, including Mimolette from France and Leyden from the Netherlands.

I've never been to the UK/AUS but this all seems like a UK cultural/historical aversion issue because cheap cheese was/is being dressed up to look like higher end cheese. As an American, lacking this history and knowing I'm not buying high end cheese for use in cooking, it's a non issue. Then there is the way it's eaten. If I'm buying cheese to create a platter to serve with wine, this Tillamook cheddar would not be going on there. When I need a cheese to melt on a sandwich or omelet, it's a winner.

[edit] Found this...which explains a lot of the misconceptions: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48915578

****this cracks me up because I'm always hearing the locals referring to anything with menthol (mint-flavored stuff especially) as "tasting artificial" or "like chemicals." You often get it compared to toothpaste, deodorant, and salonpas :lol: