Ride-on mowers

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
NickinGunma

Ride-on mowers

Post by NickinGunma »

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have a 1 acre plot of land that I am slowly planting (the idea is to turn it into a food forest), but it will take a few years.

In the meantime the weeds are something crazy. I have been cutting them 2 to 3 times a year with a 23cc weed wacker (the one with circular blade), but it takes a lot of time. I was thinking about getting a ride on mower, but wanted to get people's views on whether this is a sensible option and if so, if anyone had any recommendations. The land is slightly sloping.

Cheers

Chuck2

Ride-on mowers

Post by Chuck2 »

NickinGunma wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:02 pm
Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have a 1 acre plot of land that I am slowly planting (the idea is to turn it into a food forest), but it will take a few years.

In the meantime the weeds are something crazy. I have been cutting them 2 to 3 times a year with a 23cc weed wacker (the one with circular blade), but it takes a lot of time. I was thinking about getting a ride on mower, but wanted to get people's views on whether this is a sensible option and if so, if anyone had any recommendations. The land is slightly sloping.

Cheers
Hi Nick and welcome to the forum.

I have a Orec RM 830 Rabbit ride a mower and I couldn't live without it. I use it to cut most of the grass in my vineyard and peach orchard. I do have to still use a weed whacker around the vines and trees though. I have had this mower for about 6 yrs. No troubles at all. Just have to change mower blades which are about ichiman yen and oil change, oh and last year had to change a belt.

These mowers are expensive though. Are you a admitted farmer or thinking about it?
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ride-on mowers

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I bought my mower from these guys Grass Cut dot Com it's not a sit on one rather a manual push type but quite happy with it and the Briggs & Stratton engine is quite easy to service. As @Chuck2 says sit on ones are not cheap but if you have a large area to cover they are the best option. Plow has a selection of mowers over on Honda Walk.

NickinGunma

Ride-on mowers

Post by NickinGunma »

Thanks both - really appreciate it.

Will take a look at the Orecs.

I am not a registered farmer yet, but am hoping to be in a few months. Is there any difference?

Nick

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ride-on mowers

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Only if your farmland is registered as agricultural land, mines sanrin so I've never bothered registering. Both our local Nougyou Inkai and agricultural department said it wasn't worth it and we'd have greater freedom if we didn't change how the land was registered.

Otona Cream Pie

Ride-on mowers

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Talk about good timing...I was about to post on this very topic. Just got back from a weekend in the mountains and the weeds were....well....

I have 3 of those 2-stroke circular saw on a stick weed whackers, an elec one, and an elec push mower. For the light stuff, the push mower is just soooo much easier. Set to mulch, and height adjustability is awesome. 30mins and 3 batteries later:

...but, eventually the batteries run out and it's on to the pole weedwhackers

This flat area is about 1acre and since I live so far away, time is precious so I'm thinking an additional shed and ride on mower make sense. I'm just not sure if it's a better idea to pick up something old/used on yahoo auctions or what. Many smaller ones here look cute but like their pushmowers, they have me doing the traditional teeth suck when it comes to the price, knowing that they sell for overseas :think: A used rabbit seems like the best idea ATM but I need to put up a shed to store it or it will get crushed come winter.

Otona Cream Pie

Ride-on mowers

Feeling silly....I really need to pull the trigger soon....

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ride-on mowers

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Man that's got to be hard work in the current temperatures. Ride on mowers might be expensive but at least you can sit down while cutting the grass.

Otona Cream Pie

Ride-on mowers

At least with elec, there is no exhaust making sure I come out well done...but even with 6 batteries, it's not enough to keep cutting/charging with a generator. It will still be good for the tight areas but I need something larger/more powerful to really take care of business.

I wish I could afford one of these :twisted:

:dance:

Chuck2

Ride-on mowers

Post by Chuck2 »

Don't forget this remote control option. Last year our tractor rep had a company who makes remote control lawn mowers come out and do a demonstration of their mower. It was easily decided to do this demonstration on the side of my vineyard because of the long grass and slope.

I like the idea of remote control but this machine is still needs a lot of work to make it worth it.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."